Kovacevich and Argerich duo-pianists

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Kovacevich and Argerich duo-pianists

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:10 am

I would have loved to see this!!!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... story.html

And they were never married.

maestrob

Re: Kovacevich and Argerich duo-pianists

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 am

Belle: I think they were, back when he was known as Bishop-Kovacevich. What a wonderful concert!

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 am

Martha named her daughter with her own surname and I remember her in a film saying they weren't married. I've always loved SK since he came to Sydney for the ABC in 1972 and this handsome virtuoso took my friend Janice out 'for coffee'. We used to sit in the airlock in the basement next to the music library and listen to him practice for concerts with the SSO on our lunch breaks at the ABC. My friend - a gorgeous female - persuaded the ex-Viennese music librarian to let us listen to, as then, Stephen Bishop going through his paces.

I saw him in concert late 2010 in Sydney with "Diabelli Variations" and I was moved to tears.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm

What might also seem a little odd is that Argerich was briefly married to the American pianist, from San Pedro and known then as Stephen Bishop, in the 1970s. They have a daughter, Stephanie Argerich, who made an unflinchingly personal film about her mother called “Bloody Daughter.”
This quote from the article says that they were married briefly...... :)

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:09 pm

The daughter is Stephanie Argerich; they were in a de facto relationship and not actually married. Today anybody who lives with another seems to be deemed to be married, which is odd when you consider...... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwiIqNjlfgU