Superb left-hand Godowsky piano music

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Superb left-hand Godowsky piano music

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm

There has been, over the years, a number of fine recordings of just left-hand piano music. One of the most interesting I've heard recently is Konstantin Scherbakov's Marco Polo release [8.225367] of his traversal of the complete piano music of Leopold Godowsky (1870-1938) on that label. Here we have over 64 minutes of some incredible playing by Scherbakov that belies, in most cases, that only the left hand creates these works, so fine is his execution.

Items such as the Star-Spangled Banner, Oscar Straus's The Last Waltz, and the Strauss, Jr. Themes from Die Fledermaus are jaw-droppers for those who know the piano and what it takes to play this material on just one hand.

This has, so far, been an outstanding set of recordings from Marco Polo. Highly recommended.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Superb left-hand Godowsky piano music

Post by John F » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Godowski's arrangement of "Home, Sweet Home" with inscrutable chromatic harmony is something to hear, all right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdjy9sZ2j20

In "Speaking of Pianists," Abram Chasins says Godowski was at his best playing privately for colleagues and friends. His many recordings don't excite me at all, except maybe the Grieg Ballade.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Superb left-hand Godowsky piano music

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Indeed, I have often heard Godowsky had a problem with nerves. However, unlike Mr. Chasins, who was a fine pianist and teacher, I have found much joy in Godowsky's inscriptions ... music making from what we so often refer to as the "golden age." Some pianists do not like recording in the studio absent of an audience; they are inspired to take more risks when people are around! One can gain considerable insight into the pianist's life and art reading Jeremy Nicholas's biography, Godowsky - The Pianist's Pianist.
John F wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:40 pm
Godowski's arrangement of "Home, Sweet Home" with inscrutable chromatic harmony is something to hear, all right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdjy9sZ2j20

In "Speaking of Pianists," Abram Chasins says Godowski was at his best playing privately for colleagues and friends. His many recordings don't excite me at all, except maybe the Grieg Ballade.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]