Rudolf Serkin - Columbia Album Collection Aug 2017

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Rudolf Serkin - Columbia Album Collection Aug 2017

Post by jserraglio » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am

Don't need it, still want it.

75 discs - Rudolf Serkin - The Complete Columbia Album Collection
The first ever collection of Rudolf Serkin s complete recordings for Columbia Masterworks on 75 CDs. Concertos, sonatas, chamber music and vocal performances, recorded 1941 to 1985. 35 recordings newly transferred, mixed and mastered from the original analogue tapes using 24 bit / 192 kHz technology (13 recordings for the first time on CD, 15 recordings as first authorized releases, 7 recordings remastered). An all-embracing survey of Rudolf Serkin's recorded achievements, spanning over 44 years of recording.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKWL779

maestrob

Re: Rudolf Serkin - Columbia Album Collection Aug 2017

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:54 am

I knew Serkin's daughter briefly during the 1970's: she was a friend of my wife's and taught special ed students for a living here in NYC. Ursula once told me that listening to her father play Mozart made her cry, and that she avoided listening to most classical music: having a famous father that had neglected her and concentrated on her brother Peter because of his obvious talent definitely had left scars.

For those who don't know, Serkin was "discovered" by Toscanini who recorded Beethoven concerti with him in the 78RPM era, and his career was launched. This set looks very interesting to me for $200. By August, I'll hope to have more room on my shelves!

John F

Post by John F » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Serkin was first "discovered" by the violinist Adolf Busch, becoming his partner in recitals and chamber music (and once the soloist in a Mozart concerto conducted by Busch) in many EMI recordings of the 1930s. He was also Busch's son-in-law. It was as a member of the Busch circle that Serkin met Toscanini. They made no concerto recordings together, as they were under exclusive contract to rival record companies, but they played Mozart and Beethoven concertos once with the New York Philharmonic and the Beethoven once with the NBC Symphony, and these were eventually published. The Philharmonic concerts, at the end of Serkin's first American tour, were highly successful and Serkin credited them with having "made" his career in America.

The Serkin recordings of many Mozart concertos for Columbia, including some that were and are rarely played, were my introduction to that wonderful repertoire, and I still like them very much. But less than I used to. Now and then Mozart halts the progress of a movement for the soloist to play a brief improvisation, but in Serkin's recordings the music stops, there's a moment of silence, then it starts again - no Eingang. Not only is this unstylish, it's awkward, and Mozart's music is never awkward. (Except of course in the "Musical Joke.") In later music this is not a problem and I still return to Serkin's recordings of Beethoven, Schubert, and Brahms with pleasure.

By and large, I like the earlier monaural recordings best. Serkin recorded Brahms's first concerto four times; the first, with Fritz Reiner and the Pittsburgh Symphony in 1946, outdoes the later ones, I think. Is it in this set?
John Francis

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Some of my favourite Serkin recordings are probably not in this set but as I've not seen the contents I could be wrong. LvB sonatas recorded 1945 - 1952 on Music&Arts and a 1954 recording of the Diabellis plus op 109 (also on M&A) are highly treasured recordings in my collection?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Don't need it either. I have everything that has been issued thus far on CDs of Serkin [not to mention LPs]. However, as noted, there are some things that are making their first appearance on CDs from the mono era. At $2.67/disc it's a far cry from what most of us paid for the original LPs, not to mention subsequent CDs. However, I have always believed Rudolf Serkin ranked in the uppermost rank of pianists from his first recordings (EMI) to his last for Columbia/Sony and DGG. Enough said. I want it too! Are we crazy, or what?
jserraglio wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am
Don't need it, still want it.

75 discs - Rudolf Serkin - The Complete Columbia Album Collection
The first ever collection of Rudolf Serkin s complete recordings for Columbia Masterworks on 75 CDs. Concertos, sonatas, chamber music and vocal performances, recorded 1941 to 1985. 35 recordings newly transferred, mixed and mastered from the original analogue tapes using 24 bit / 192 kHz technology (13 recordings for the first time on CD, 15 recordings as first authorized releases, 7 recordings remastered). An all-embracing survey of Rudolf Serkin's recorded achievements, spanning over 44 years of recording.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKWL779
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 am

I absolutely adore this musician; adore, I say!! And he refers to Serkin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYHVNb4n5v4

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:33 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:49 pm
[snip] a 1954 recording of the Diabellis
I heard Serkin perform these. Magnificent recital.

BTW, I think the Szell/Serkin Columbia Mozart concerto recordings are superb.

John F

Post by John F » Mon May 01, 2017 6:29 am

Rudolf Serkin enthusiasts should get the biography by Stephen Lehmann and Marion Faber, "Rudolf Serkin: A Life." Not only is it a thoroughly researched and well written account of a long and distinguished career, complete with a discography of Serkin's authorized and unauthorized recordings, but tucked into the back cover is a CD containing Bach's French suite #5, some Mendelssohn, and Chopin's etudes op. 25, recorded in recital at the Library of Congress 1948-50. Unlike Artur Schnabel, with whom Serkin has often been compared, he did not disdain to play composers outside the Austrian/German canon from Bach to Brahms, though that was certainly his core repertoire . Even the Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff 2! But only once each, before leaving Europe.

Among other things, the book documents some unlikely stories that turn out to be true. At the end of a joint recital with Adolf Busch in 1921, the audience enthusiasm called for an encore. Serkin asked Busch what to play, Busch suggested Bach's Goldberg variations (probably as a joke - it was April 2), and that's what Serkin played - all of them. The Goldbergs were in his repertoire until he emigrated to the U.S., and he even recorded them on Welte piano rolls - but Welte got the tempos wrong and Serkin complained that the playback was much too fast. It's a pity he never played the variations after he settled here; I'm sure his performances were something special.

The op. 25 etudes weren't the only Chopin that Serkin played. One of his last recordings for Columbia/CBS/Sony, made in 1976, was of the preludes op. 28. It was not published, but maybe it's in the new box set.

Lehmann and Faber also tell us a good deal about the uneasy and not very happy relationship between Serkin and his son Peter, with whom he was very severe as a teacher and not very warm as a parent. Inevitably the Serkins played piano duos and Peter was a fixture at Marlboro, but when he came of age in the late '60s he not only stopped all that but had little if any contact with Rudolf for years.

Stephen Lehmann and Marion Faber, "Rudolf Serkin: A Life" (Oxford University Press, 2003)
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon May 01, 2017 2:45 pm

I have had the book since it's publication (2003, I believe), and highly recommend it to those interested in Rudolf Serkin. I've been to Marlboro, Vermont several times in the past three years. Strange how one feels the "presence" of Serkin there just walking around the lovely facilities.

Apparently Serkin did play Chopin more than we know. I have a live recording of the Chopin 24 Preludes recorded in Toronto in 1976. Perhaps they were used as a vehicle for his commercial recording which I hope will be included in this new 75-CD set.

John F wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:29 am
Rudolf Serkin enthusiasts should get the biography by Stephen Lehmann and Marion Faber, "Rudolf Serkin: A Life." Not only is it a thoroughly researched and well written account of a long and distinguished career, complete with a discography of Serkin's authorized and unauthorized recordings, but tucked into the back cover is a CD containing Bach's French suite #5, some Mendelssohn, and Chopin's etudes op. 25, recorded in recital at the Library of Congress 1948-50. [...] One of his last recordings for Columbia/CBS/Sony, made in 1976, was of the preludes op. 28. It was not published, but maybe it's in the new box set.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat May 13, 2017 12:32 pm

I discovered the following about the contents of the Serkin Complete, as follows:

Set contents:
DISC 1: Brahms: Concerto No. 1 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 15 (1946) Reiner

DISC 2: Beethoven: Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor for Piano, Op. 27, No. 2 "Moonlight" (1941) Beethoven: Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 "Pathétique" (1945)

DISC 3: Beethoven: Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 73 "Emperor" (1941) Walter

DISC 4: Beethoven: Sonata No. 9 in A Major, Op. 47 "Kreutzer" Adolph Busch, violin Schumann: Quintet in E-flat Major for Piano and Strings, Op. 44 (1942) Busch Quartet

DISC 5: Brahms: Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 83 (1945) Ormandy

DISC 6: Schumann: Concerto in A minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 54 (1946) Ormandy

DISC 7: Beethoven: Trio No. 4 in D Major, Op. 70 "Ghost" Adolph Busch, violin; Hermann Busch, cello Beethoven: Fantasie in G minor, Op. 77 (1947) Beethoven: Sonata No. 24 in F-Sharp Major, Op. 78 (1947) Mendelssohn: Songs without Words, Op. 62 No 1, in G Major "May Breezes" (1947)

DISC 8: Beethoven: Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 73 "Emperor" (1950) Ormandy

DISC 9: Bach: Sonata No. 3 in G minor, BWV 1029 Pablo Casals, cello; Paul Baumgartner, piano Bach: Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue in D minor, BWV 903a Bach: Italian Concerto in F Major, BWV 971 Bach: Capriccio in B-flat Major, BWV 992 "On the departure of his most beloved brother" Bach: Toccata in E minor, BWV 914

DISC 10: Mozart: Concerto No. 20 in D Minor for Piano and Orchestra, K. 466 (1951) Ormandy Mozart: Concerto No. 22 in E-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 482 Casals

DISC 11: Beethoven: Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor for Piano, Op. 27, No. 2 "Moonlight" (1951) Beethoven: Sonata No. 26 in E-flat Major for Piano, Op. 81a "Les Adieux" (1951) Beethoven: Sonata No. 23 in F minor for Piano, Op. 57 "Appassionata" (1947)

DISC 12: Beethoven: Sonata No. 21 in C Major, Op. 53 "Waldstein" (1952) Beethoven: Sonata No. 30 in E Major for Piano, Op. 109 (1952)

DISC 13: Schubert: Trio No. 2 For Violin, Cello And Piano, Op. 100, D. 929 E-flat Major Adolf Busch, violin; Hermann Busch, cello Brahms: Trio in C Major, Op. 87 Adolf Busch, violin; Hermann Busch, cello

DISC 14: Beethoven: Concerto No. 3 in C minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 37 (1953) Ormandy

DISC 15: Brahms: Concerto No. 1 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 15 (1952) Szell

DISC 16: Mozart: Quintet in E-flat Major for Piano and Winds, K. 452 Philadelphia Woodwind Quintet Beethoven: Quintet in E-flat Major for Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn and Bassoon, Op. 16 (1953) Philadelphia Woodwind Quintet

DISC 17: Beethoven: Sonata No. 1 in F Major, Op. 5, No. 1 Pablo Casals, cello Beethoven: Sonata No. 5 in D Major, Op. 102, No. 2 Pablo Casals, cello

DISC 18: Beethoven: Sonata No. 2 in G minor, Op. 5, No. 2 Pablo Casals, cello Beethoven: 7 Variations on "Bei Männern, welche Liebe fühlen" (From "Mozart's Die Zauberflöte, WoO.46") Pablo Casals, cello Beethoven: 12 Variations on "Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen" (From "Mozart's Die Zauberflöte, WoO.66") Pablo Casals, cello Beethoven: 12 Variations in G Major on "See, the Conquering Hero Comes" from Handel's Judas Maccabaeus for Cello and Piano, WoO 45 Pablo Casals, cello

DISC 19: Beethoven: Sonata No. 3 in A Major, Op. 69 Pablo Casals, cello Beethoven: Sonata No. 4 in C Major, Op. 102, No. 1 Pablo Casals, cello

DISC 20: Beethoven: Concerto No. 1 in C Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 15 (1954) Ormandy

DISC 21: Beethoven: Concerto No. 4 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 58 (1955) Ormandy Beethoven: Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 19 (1954/5) Ormandy

DISC 22: Brahms: Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 83 (1956) Ormandy

DISC 23: Schumann: Concerto in A minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 54 (1956) Ormandy Strauss: Burleske in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 11 (1955) Ormandy

DISC 24: Mozart: Concerto No. 21 in C Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 467 Schneider Mozart: Concerto No. 27 in B-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 595 (1955) Schneider

DISC 25: Schubert: Moments musicaux, D. 780 (Op. 94) Schubert: Sonata in C Major for Piano, D. 840 "Reliquie"

DISC 26: Mozart: Concerto No. 17 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 453 (1955) Schneider Mozart: Concerto No. 25 in C Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 503 Szell

DISC 27: Mozart: Concerto No. 9 in E-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 271 "Jeunehomme" Schneider Mozart: Concerto No. 12 in A Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 414 (1956) Schneider

DISC 28: Beethoven: 33 Variations on a Waltz by Anton Diabelli, Op. 120

DISC 29: Mozart: Concerto No. 23 in A Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 488 Schneider Mozart: Concerto No. 16 in D Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 451 Schneider Mozart: Concert Rondo in D Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 382 Schneider

DISC 30: Mozart: Concerto No. 20 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, K. 466 (1957) Schneider Mozart: Concerto No. 11 in F Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 413 Schneider

DISC 31: Mendelssohn: Concerto No. 1 in G minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 25 Ormandy Mendelssohn: Concerto No. 2 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 40
Ormandy

DISC 32: Brahms: Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 83 (1960) Ormandy

DISC 33: Reger: Piano Concerto in F minor, Op. 114 Ormandy

DISC 34: Brahms: Trio in E-flat Major for Horn, Violin and Piano, Op. 40 Myron Bloom, horn; Michael Tree, violin Schubert: Auf Dem Strom, Op. 119, D. 943 Benita Valente, soprano; Myron Bloom, horn

DISC 35: Brahms: Liebeslieder, Walzer Op. 52 Leon Fleischer, piano, Rudolf Serkin, piano, Benita Valente, soprano; Marlena Kleinman, contralto; Wayne Connor, tenor; Martial Singher, bass Schubert: Der Hirt Auf Dem Felsen, Op. 129, D. 965 Benita Valente, soprano; Harold Wright, clarinet

DISC 36: Beethoven: Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 73 "Emperor" (1962) Bernstein

DISC 37: Bartók: Concerto No. 1 for Piano and Orchestra Szell Prokofiev: Concerto No. 4 in B-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 53 "For the Left Hand" Ormandy

DISC 38: Beethoven: Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor for Piano, Op. 27, No. 2 "Moonlight" (1962) Beethoven: Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13 "Pathétique" (1962) Beethoven: Sonata No. 23 in F minor for Piano, Op. 57 "Appassionata" (1962) Mendelssohn: Songs without Words, Op. 62 No 1, in G Major "May Breezes" (1962) Mendelssohn: Spinning Song

DISC 39: Mozart: Concerto No. 19 in F Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 459 Szell Mozart: Concerto No. 20 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, K. 466 (1961) Szell

DISC 40: Beethoven: Concerto For Piano, Violin, Cello And Orchestra, Op. 56 "Triple Concerto" Jaime Laredo, violin; Leslie Parnas, cello

DISC 41: Beethoven: Concerto No. 3 in C minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 37 (1964) Bernstein Beethoven: Choral Fantasy in C minor for Piano, Chorus & Orchestra, Op. 80 (1962) Bernstein

DISC 42: Brahms: Piano Quintet in F minor, Op. 34 Budapest String Quartet Schumann: Quintet in E-flat Major for Piano and Strings, Op. 44 (1963) Budapest String Quartet

DISC 43: Schumann: Concerto in A minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 54 (1964) Ormandy Schumann: Introduction and Allegro appassionato for Piano and Orchestra (Konzertstück), Op. 92 Ormandy

DISC 44: Beethoven: Concerto No. 4 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 58 (1944) Toscanini Schubert: Am Tage Aller Seelen Handel: Israel in Egypt, HWV 54: "Dank sei Dir Herr!" (Arioso)

DISC 45: Beethoven: Concerto No. 4 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 58 (1962) Ormandy

DISC 46: Beethoven: Concerto No. 1 in C Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 15 (1965) Ormandy Beethoven: Eleven Bagatelles, Op. 119

DISC 47: Beethoven: Concerto No. 2 in B-Flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 19 (1965) Ormandy Mozart: Concerto No. 27 in B-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 595 (1962) Ormandy

DISC 48: Bach: Concerto No. 1 in D minor for Three Pianos and String Orchestra, BWV 1063 Mieczysław Horszowski, piano; Ruth Laredo, piano Bach: Concerto No. 2 in C Major for Three Pianos and String Orchestra, BWV 1064 Mieczysław Horszowski, piano; Peter Serkin, piano Mozart: Concerto No. 10 in E-Flat Major for Two Pianos and Orchestra, K. 365 Peter Serkin, piano

DISC 49: Schubert: Sonata in A Major for Piano, Op. posth. (D. 959)

DISC 50: Mozart: Concerto No. 14 in E-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 449 Schneider Mozart: Concerto No. 17 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 453 (1962) Schneider

DISC 51: Brahms: Concerto No. 1 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 15 (1961) Ormandy

DISC 52: Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 1 in F Major, BWV 1046 Casals Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G Major, BWV 1049 Casals Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D Major, BWV 1050 Casals

DISC 53: Brahms: Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 83 (1966) Szell

DISC 54: Schubert: Quintet in A Major for Piano and Strings, D. 667 (Op. 114) "The Trout" Jaime Laredo, violin; Philipp Naegle, viola; Leslie Parnas, cello; Julius Levine, bass

DISC 55: Brahms: Concerto No. 1 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 15 (1968)
Szell DISC 56: Mendelssohn: Capriccio Brillante for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 22 Ormandy Schumann: Introduction and Concert Allegro for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 134 Ormandy Strauss: Burleske in D minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 11 (1966) Ormandy

DISC 57: Beethoven: Sonata No. 29 in B-flat Major for Piano, Op. 106 "Hammerklavier"

DISC 58: Beethoven: Sonata No. 28 in A Major, Op. 101 Beethoven: Sonata No. 31 in A-flat Major for Piano, Op. 110 (1971)

DISC 59: Mozart: Concerto No. 12 in A Major for Piano and Orchestra, K. 414 (1962) Schneider Mozart: Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello, K. 502 in B-flat Major Jaime Laredo, violin; Madeline Foley, cello

DISC 60: Reger: Sonata in C minor for Violin and Piano, Op. 139 P. Carmirelli, violin; Rudolf Serkin, piano Reger: Sonata in A minor for Cello and Piano, Op. 116* Mischa Schneider, cello; Peter Serkin, piano

DISC 61: Beethoven: Sonata No. 11 in B-Flat Major, Op. 22 Beethoven: Fantasie in G minor, Op. 77 (1970) Beethoven: Sonata No. 24 in F-Sharp Major, Op. 78 (1973)

DISC 62: Schubert: Sonata in B-Flat Major for Piano, Op. posth., D. 960 (1975)

DISC 63: Bach: Sonata No. 3 in E Major for Violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1016 Adolf Busch, violin Beethoven: Sonata No. 8 in G Major, Op. 30, No. 3 Adolf Busch, violin Beethoven: Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 1 in D Major, Op. 12 Adolf Busch, violin

DISC 64: Schumann: Sonata No. 1 for Violin and Piano in A minor, Op. 105 Adolf Busch, violin Schumann: Grand Sonata No. 2 for Violin and Piano in D minor, Op. 121 Adolf Busch, violin Beethoven: Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 10 in G Major, Op. 96 Adolf Busch, violin

DISC 65: Haydn: Sonata No. 3 in E-Flat Major, Hob. XVI: 49 Mozart: Rondo in A minor for Piano, K. 511 Beethoven: Sonata No. 26 in E-flat Major for Piano, Op. 81a "Les Adieux" (1977)

DISC 66: Schubert: Sonata in B-Flat Major for Piano, Op. posth., D. 960 (1977)

DISC 67: Brahms: Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, Op. 24 Brahms: Intermezzo in B minor, Op. 119, No. 1 Brahms: Intermezzo in E minor, Op. 119, No. 2 Brahms: Intermezzo in C Major, Op. 119, No. 3 Brahms: Rhapsody in E-flat Major, Op. 119, No. 4

DISC 68: Schubert: 4 Impromptus, D.935, Op. 142

DISC 69: Reger: Variations and Fugue on a Theme of J.S. Bach, Op. 81 Haydn: Sonata for Piano in C Major, HOB. XVI: 50 Bach: Aria from Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 Bach: (14) Verschiedene Canones, BWV 1087

DISC 70: Beethoven: Trio for Piano, Clarinet and Cello, Op. 11 in B-flat Major Richard Stoltzman, clarinet; Alain Meunier, cello Beethoven: Quintet in E-flat Major For Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Horn And Bassoon, Op. 16 (1974) Rudolph Vrbsky, oboe; Richard Stoltzman, clarinet; Robert Routch, horn; Alexander Heller, bassoon Beethoven: Variations On Wenzel Muller's Lied "Ich Bin Der Schneider Kakadu" For Piano, Violin, & Cello in G Major, Op. 121a Yuzuko Horigome, violin, Peter Wiley, cello

DISC 71: Beethoven: Sonata No. 1 in F minor, Op. 2, No. 1 Beethoven: Sonata No. 6 in F Major, Op. 10, No. 2 Beethoven: Sonata No. 12 in A-flat Major, Op. 26

DISC 72: Beethoven: Sonata No. 13 in E-flat Major, Op. 27, No. 1 (Sonata quasi una fantasia) Beethoven: Sonata No. 16 in G Major, Op. 31, No. 1 Beethoven: Sonata No. 21 in C Major, Op. 53 "Waldstein" (1975)

DISC 73: Beethoven: Sonata No. 30 in E Major for Piano, Op. 109 (1976) Beethoven: Sonata No. 31 in A-flat Major, Op. 110 (1960) Beethoven: Sonata No. 32 in C minor for Piano, Op. 111

DISC 74: Beethoven: Concerto No. 4 in G Major for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 58 (1974) Schneider Beethoven: Choral Fantasy in C minor for Piano, Chorus & Orchestra, Op. 80 (1981)

DISC 75: Chopin: 24 Préludes, Op. 28 Mendelssohn: Prelude and Fugue, Op. 35, No. 1
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat May 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Lance, thanks for posting the complete contents. Some of the earlier mono recordings I have already with Ormandy, but I never made a point to collect Serkin's stereo recordings. My loss, until now. Thanks to this set, I'll have them all to study and fill my ears with excellent music. What a treasure chest! :D

John F

Post by John F » Sat May 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks for posting all the details. I have most of Serkin's previously published recordings on LP, but there's unpublished material here too, such as the Chopin Preludes mentioned earlier. Also a few recordings in which Serkin isn't the pianist...
John Francis

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 pm

...and the LvB sonatas I mentioned in an earlier post are there too. Best Waldstein ever IMO.

John F

Post by John F » Sun May 14, 2017 12:12 am

Yes, the 1952 "Waldstein" is extraordinary - the best I know too.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 14, 2017 3:58 am

And they have been transferred and remastered from original tapes in HD 24/192 technology. That adds another level of interest to this set.

Beethoven's Piano Sonata "Waldstein" 2nd half of Third movement 1965

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun May 14, 2017 4:26 am

Rudolf Serkin Chopin Etudes Op. 25 (LOC 5 May 1948)