Prosseda pianist: Complete Mendelssohn plus unpublished

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Prosseda pianist: Complete Mendelssohn plus unpublished

Post by Lance » Thu May 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Decca 481.5297, 10 CDs

Among pianists on the scene today, Italian pianist Roberto Prosseda seems to have found his niche with the music of Felix Mendelssohn. Some of his Decca single Mendelssohn discs (mostly from the Italian branch) have become hard to find or even locate. Now Decca has come forth with a 10-CD boxed set of the complete Mendelssohn solo piano music. The box set includes 59 world premiere recordings, so if nothing else, pianophiles will want this set. I have always treasured the old Vox recordings with Rena Kyriakou, most of which have never been transferred to CD on that label, but other labels such as Tuxedo, have made some of the other works available, still incomplete. However, Prosseda is a superb pianist in this repertoire and the sound is excellent and state-of-the art. No doubt there will be a sequel to this set with all the piano music with orchestra and chamber ensembles. To boot, the price is also realistic with this set. If you are checking out Prosseda, there is a lovely 2-CD set of the first six sonatas of Mozart on Decca using a musical temperament used by Mozart, and a fine-sounding Fazioli concert grand. Also a Chopin recital disc on Decca, some chamber music, and Mendelssohn's Piano Concerto No. 3 (Decca). Hyperion also sees Prosseda on one of their Romantic Piano Concerto series.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Ted Quanrud

Re: Prosseda pianist: Complete Mendelssohn plus unpublished

Post by Ted Quanrud » Thu May 18, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks, Lance; I will keep my eye out for it. I see it runs about $42 on Amazon UK.