Steven Isserlis, cello: Complete RCA Recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Steven Isserlis, cello: Complete RCA Recordings

Post by Lance » Sat May 27, 2017 11:42 pm

RCA 31257, 10 CDs, 14'17" "The Complete RCA Recordings"

Those who have followed the cello art of British-born [1958] Steven Isserlis will be pleased to note that RCA has issued a "white box" (i.e., no booklet or notes) of all ten of his RCA Victor recordings. The individual wallet-sleeves contain all the pertinent information regarding venues and dates of recordings. The recordings were made between 1992 and 2000 in England at which point, apparently the RCA contract came to an end for Isserlis. Isserlis has made a number of recordings - and continues to record - for Hyperion in England. Isserlis's collaborators in the RCA set include Sir Roger Norrington, Melvyn Tan, Felicity Lott, Christoph Eschenbach, Stephen Hough, Michael Tilson Thomas, Pascal Devoyon, Lorin Maazel, Olli Mustonen, Vladimir Spivakov, Thomas Ades, Maggie Cole, Michael Collins, and many others. The repertoire is very broad, including a disc of Fauré works, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Saint-Saens, Richard Strauss, Brahms, and encores, quite a collection. Interesting, too, that Isserlis's cellist mentor, with whom he befriended, was Russian Daniil Shafran. In comparison to the individual RCA CDs when first issued, the ten-CD boxed set is a tiny fraction of those original prices. I consider this a bargain-and-a-half. Well worth considering adding to your collection.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Steven Isserlis, cello: Complete RCA Recordings

Post by maestrob » Sun May 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks, Lance! Isserlis is surely one of the finest exponents of his instrument. This set is now on my want-list! :D

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Tue May 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra brought him in for a concert while I worked there, and his take on the CPE Bach Cello Concerto in A was absolutely spellbinding. One of my favorite memories from working there.

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:27 am

Isserlis is one of the outstanding cellists before the public today. His playing is engaging and sounds effortless. He plays a Stradivarius that is an exceptional instrument, even for Stradivarius. This is an outstanding collection.

This set isn't quite complete as it omits his recording of the Barber Cello Concerto (which was part of a disc which included the Violin Concerto and the Piano Concerto).

John