New Furtwangler Box

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

New Furtwangler Box

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:56 pm

I just noticed this Furtwangler box set on amazon listed for $99.99 with 107 CDs. It includes the Rome Ring cycle and the best versions of the complete repertoire of the famous conductor from radio broadcasts and in-house tapes, dating back to disc recordings from 1928 (all electrical).

107 CDs at less than $1/disc. This looks like a bargain!

John F

Re: New Furtwangler Box

Post by John F » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:59 am

Of course it's far from the complete Furtwängler on records, but that would be humongous. The biggest absence is the La Scala Ring cycle with Kirsten Flagstad, and there are nine broadcasts of the Eroica Symphony in addition to the two EMI studio recordings - which of them is the best is, of course, a matter of opinion. (My choice is December 8, 1952.) But as a starter set at a reasonable price, I'm sure this is good value.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: New Furtwangler Box

Post by Lance » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:40 am

This isn't a NEW box; I've had my set since December 2013 when it was selling on Amazon for a mere $90. Indeed, it's wonderful to have so much of Furtwangler in one boxed set at such a great monetary value not to mention the great conductor's musical prowess, which is worth everything. I am so enamored of the conductor that I have literally hundreds of his recordings on myriad labels, some (many, actually) have been reissued more than once and some having been transferred better than others. The only problem with having so much is having the time to hear it all. Thus, one picks and chooses.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]