Daniil Trifonov

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Holden Fourth

Daniil Trifonov

Post by Holden Fourth » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:32 am

There have been a number of posts about Trifonov but I can't find a thread about him

I first saw/heard him via the classical channel of my cable provider. He's not nice to watch as he sweats profusely and this can be off putting. I did like how he played and thought I'd try him out on Spotify and Tidal. I listened to his "Transcendental" CD and had a number of jaw dropping moments. His articulation is like nothing I've ever heard before. Clean, crisp, clear and so dynamically variable. He also has a great sense of the music. He's not playing to be flashy, he wants to convey his idea of what the music is about and while I don't agree with some of his interpretative ideas it's great that he has his own 'voice'.

Ricordanza

Re: Daniil Trifonov

Post by Ricordanza » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:55 am

Holden Fourth wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:32 am
There have been a number of posts about Trifonov but I can't find a thread about him.
I'm not sure if two posts on one topic constitute a thread, but I did post a review of Trifonov's Philadelphia recital in March, and there was one response:
http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/view ... =3&t=46880

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:14 am

As it happens, I will be seeing him tonight at Tanglewood in a program of Schumann, Shostakovich, and Stravinsky.

I saw him a couple of years ago and I was impressed. I wasn't close enough to see him sweat.

arepo

Post by arepo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am

Trifinov is , without question, one of the most skilled young pianists in the world .
If you want to hear his work, just go to medici.tv or YouTube and hold on to your hat.
An astounding talent.

cliftwood

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 am

arepo wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am
Trifinov is , without question, one of the most skilled young pianists in the world .
If you want to hear his work, just go to medici.tv or YouTube and hold on to your hat.
An astounding talent.

cliftwood
And we agree yet again! I have the Liszt Transcendental Etudes and they are stunning, with more depth even than Bolet.

barney

Post by barney » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 pm

I too found the Liszt simply extraordinary. I interviewed Trifonov by phone for the Age and Sydney Morning Herald - his English was not fluent but good enough. He told me that he practised under water!
He came late last year playing the same program Beckmesser attended (past tense presumably now correct). Again, it featured the most astounding pianism, with fabulous articulation at lightning speed, but a couple of times I felt that effect was more important than musical insight. But what he will be in 10 years one can only wonder.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:01 pm

This is really quite wonderful; Trifonov and Kavakos. I've seen Leonidas Kavakos myself twice in Europe; once at the Leipzig Gewandhaus and the other at Concertgebouw Amsterdam - in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhy2m6x_qeA

And absolutely what's not to LOVE about this!!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61bujkT_uaU