Erkki Melartin

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

R Gifford

Erkki Melartin

Post by R Gifford » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks to Maestrob for calling my attention to the Ondine disc of Erkki Melartin orchestral music (New Discs Added 2/6/17). I also second his recommendation of the set of Melartin's six symphonies, also on Ondine (4/4/17). These works have been enjoyed by me for a number of years, particularly the Fourth Symphony, not least for the vocalise for three female singers in the andante movement. This takes me back to my teenage years when I first heard Nielsen's Third. Once the voices entered I was spellbound. I'd never heard anything like it The Alfven Fourth also uses wordless voices very effectively. The Vaughan Williams Sinfonia Antarctica is also a favorite. At any rate, anyone who likes wordless singing is sure to like Melartin's Fourth. The other symphonies are likable examples of early twentieth century Finnish music.

jserraglio

Re: Erkki Melartin

Post by jserraglio » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for the recommendations.

YT Search Results:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=SBTq ... elartin%3A

YouTube PLaylist - 200 items:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=SBTq ... elartin%3A

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:49 am

Got into this thread late-I see he did an opera Aino. Regards, Len

"Aino is an opera by Erkki Melartin, composed in 1912 to a libretto by Jalmari Finne. The opera is based on the Kalevala, more specifically on the character of Aino. Its music shows the influence of Richard Wagner."

R Gifford

Post by R Gifford » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am

Until I received jserraglio's reply to my Melartin post I thought there were only three ways to hear new (to me) works: 1. Borrow a copy from a friend (very limited in my case). 2. Find a library copy (surprisingly successful quite often). 3. Buy the recording (often expensive. The Melartin symphony set can be had on Amazon for $25.00). The UTube link provided by jserraglio has changed all that. Not only can I hear a complete performance of the Melartin Fourth but I can listen to what seems to be Melartin's complete output. I would love to hear Aino, his opera. In my defense, I've stayed away from UTube because listening on my tiny computer speakers doesn't begin to compare to my very good listening system and I have a large collection of LP's and CD's (so much to hear and not enough time). Another confession: Until recently I thought the only way to view new posts on "recently acquired discs" was to wade through page one forward until reaching the latest post. I never made it to the end. That's why it took me so long to reply to maetrob's Melartin post! Joining CMG has provided me with new, and worthwhile, ways to listen to music.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:41 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:49 am
Got into this thread late-I see he did an opera Aino.
Thanks. I plan to check this one out.
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:42 pm

R Gifford wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am
Until I received jserraglio's reply to my Melartin post I thought there were only three ways to hear new (to me) works: 1. Borrow a copy from a friend (very limited in my case). 2. Find a library copy (surprisingly successful quite often). 3. Buy the recording (often expensive. The Melartin symphony set can be had on Amazon for $25.00). The UTube link provided by jserraglio has changed all that. Not only can I hear a complete performance of the Melartin Fourth but I can listen to what seems to be Melartin's complete output. I would love to hear Aino, his opera. In my defense, I've stayed away from UTube because listening on my tiny computer speakers doesn't begin to compare to my very good listening system and I have a large collection of LP's and CD's (so much to hear and not enough time). Another confession: Until recently I thought the only way to view new posts on "recently acquired discs" was to wade through page one forward until reaching the latest post. I never made it to the end. That's why it took me so long to reply to maetrob's Melartin post! Joining CMG has provided me with new, and worthwhile, ways to listen to music.
......And welcome to our gathering! Youtube is a treasure-trove of delightful rarities, and of course to see the most recent posts one need merely click on the link on the upper right corner for new posts.

As for listening to recordings on your computer, might I suggest a set of headphones? Great sound can be heard for a fraction of the cost of new speakers.

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Don - INDEED, welcome back and hope you stick around. A vibrant contributor to CMG, we look forward to your posts.

ALSO A WARM WELCOME TO DR. GIFFORD! Glad you finally made here and hope you enjoy your visits and contribute regularly!

Lance

Returning to CMG after many a year to say the Melartin Symphonies are great treasures to
explore, especially # 3 & 5. I first heard these slightly Mahler-esque nature symphonies
several years ago and felt they are well crafted and less dark and quirky than Sibelius. Need to listen to them again!

Hello all that remember me!
Don
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Hello, Don, and welcome back! Hope you've been lurking for a while and that you are well. :)

As for Melartin, III & V have not yet found their way onto my shelves: what recordings do you recommend?

Donaldopato

Post by Donaldopato » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:39 pm

Only ones I know are the Leonid Grin/Tampere Philharmonic on Ondine that have been
referenced above.

And yes, I have been an occasional lurker!
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein