Dresden Staatskapelle does pop!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Dresden Staatskapelle does pop!

Post by Belle » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Some people are clutching their pearls in horror at this promotion for Dresden with the Staatskapelle playing an ABBA song. I love it and the song is a favourite, except for the bog-standard lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA9sY7w3I8o

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Dresden Staatskapelle does pop!

Post by Lance » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 am

I would suspect it would be a horror for concert-goers who attend Dresden concerts for years and years! Given the fact the orchestra has been around since the mid-1500s or so, people like conductor Karl Bohm and the myriad other greats who have led this orchestra would probably turn over in their graves! So many opera houses in Germany have closed down. The music scene even in that country has changed dramatically.
Belle wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:26 pm
Some people are clutching their pearls in horror at this promotion for Dresden with the Staatskapelle playing an ABBA song. I love it and the song is a favourite, except for the bog-standard lyrics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA9sY7w3I8o
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Seems to be what music is coming to these days. I looked through the BBC Proms programme and didn't feel inspired to book even one. There are just a couple I'll listen to at home. The whole series will be a good intro for someone wanting to find out a little about "classical music".

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:29 pm

absinthe wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:54 pm
Seems to be what music is coming to these days. I looked through the BBC Proms programme and didn't feel inspired to book even one. There are just a couple I'll listen to at home. The whole series will be a good intro for someone wanting to find out a little about "classical music".
But is there something intrinsically wrong with people wanting to 'find out' about 'classical music'? It's a start and a promise of things to come. Shouldn't we feel grateful for that, at least? The Dresdners were promoting their city just as the Wienerische do with their city jeden Neujahrskonzert. The repertoire is slightly different, that's all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwnasjF_Poo

I showed this to my grand-daughter (5) yesterday and she loved it and was smiling and laughing at the shenanigans!! I'm hoping to be able to take my two grandchildren to the Musikverein in 10 years time. For now, Sydney Opera House will have to suffice!! :roll:

John F

Post by John F » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Lance wrote:So many opera houses in Germany have closed down.
Is that really so? I don't know of a single one, at least not in the former West Germany. There was talk of merging the Berlin State Opera and the Deutsche Oper Berlin after the reunification of the city, both heavily subsidized, but it didn't happen. Still, the many smaller opera companies aren't covered in the American press, so it would be easy to miss such news about them.
John Francis