tchaikovsky-maid-of-orleans Boston

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

tchaikovsky-maid-of-orleans Boston

Post by lennygoran » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Got a flyer that Odyssey Opera in Boston saying they are doing this Tchaikovsky opera "presented in the Grand Opera style" on Sat Sept 16th.
Now I'm informed by someone from Boston it's a concert performance-can a concert performance be presented in the Grand Opera Style? Looking at the movie clip one can see it says concert performance. Regards, Len :(

http://www.odysseyopera.org/2017-tchaik ... f-orleans/

John F

Re: tchaikovsky-maid-of-orleans Boston

Post by John F » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:04 pm

I saw it when the Bolshoi Opera brought it here a while ago. It made no impression on me at all, nor did the Bolshoi recording with a better cast. Just not Tchaikovsky's kind of subject, I guess.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:27 pm

John F wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:04 pm
I saw it when the Bolshoi Opera brought it here a while ago. It made no impression on me at all, nor did the Bolshoi recording with a better cast. Just not Tchaikovsky's kind of subject, I guess.
Thanks I've heard the music and thought it would have possibilities-if I did see it I'd want a full production-how can any concert performance be described as being done in the Grand Opera style? Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:05 am

Depends on what that means. It could mean with a large orchestra and chorus, and a grandiose approach to the musical performance. Odyssey Opera is a new name to me, but from a couple of Boston Globe reviews, they appear to be ambitious. Still, I put it down to marketing hype, not to be taken seriously.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:39 am

John F wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:05 am
Still, I put it down to marketing hype, not to be taken seriously.
Thanks I'm not interested in a concert performance of an opera-I want a full production and if it's not asking too much one that is presented in the original time period. Regards, Len