Liza Lehmann, soprano/composer/author

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Liza Lehmann, soprano/composer/author

Post by Lance » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:41 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... ML32-L.jpg

Having taken an interest in soprano Liza Lehmann's compositions - songs - I became fascinated about her life. Her autobiography was first published in 1919, entitled The Life of Liza Lehmann by Herself. It was published originally in London. This is a reprint of one of the originals by HardPress Publishing of Miami, Florida copied from an original from the University of Toronto Library in Canada. Like so many "reprints," this one is complete with inkspots, a not very nice original typeface, and the original "coloured" photos are all in black and white. Doesn't matter, the book takes us back to what surely was a wonderful time in the life of a great artist. She speaks about her sons, one of whom died as a young man, her various encounters with other people in the world of opera and music, and you relive a little bit of it in her fascinating and descriptive writing style. I feel as though I know her now.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]