Cecilia Bartoli, Last Seen With a Beard, May Return to New York

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Cecilia Bartoli, Last Seen With a Beard, May Return to New York

Post by lennygoran » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:15 am

Cecilia Bartoli, Last Seen With a Beard, May Return to New York Regards, Len

By MICHAEL COOPER SEPT. 1, 2017

SALZBURG, Austria — It has been nearly a decade since the beloved Italian mezzo-soprano Cecilia Bartoli last sang in New York. David Letterman, Jon Stewart and others have been known to grow beards when they’ve left the city’s limelight. But the whiskers Ms. Bartoli was sporting recently weren’t quite of that variety.

She had instead taken on some startlingly convincing facial hair to sing the title role in Handel’s “Ariodante,” a male character originally sung by a castrato. In an interview in her dressing room here, Ms. Bartoli said that while she likes to fully inhabit her roles, she was initially unsure about the more-than-stubble.

“But then I saw myself,” she recalled, “and said, ‘Wow, I look like Johnny Depp — it’s not bad!’”

During the interview, which took place during a rehearsal break last month, Ms. Bartoli, who made a sensational debut at the Metropolitan Opera in the mid-1990s but has not performed there in almost 20 years and who last sang at Carnegie Hall in 2009, hinted that a return to New York could well be in the cards.

“I hope to come back — it’s a long time now,” she said, arousing interest because rumors to that effect have begun to swirl in New York music circles.

Ms. Bartoli, 51, has long made her artistic home in Europe, where she has had a ready audience for the rarely performed works she has championed. Just when and where she might come back to New York were unclear. Her voice is not the largest, and she made her name singing Mozart and Rossini roles scaled for smaller, more intimate theaters than the Met and other giant temples of opera. But in the interview, she expressed interest in the state of the Met, praising its selection of Yannick Nézet-Séguin as its next music director and speaking glowingly about the time she spent working with James Levine, its music director emeritus.

One intriguing possibility is that her unusual but critically acclaimed turn in the title role of Bellini’s “Norma” might make its way to New York. The opera website parterre.com reported last month that an unnamed “informant” had said that the staging, directed by Moshe Leiser and Patrice Caurier, would be going to the Brooklyn Academy of Music in “an upcoming season.” The Academy said on Friday that the production was not going there.

Her choosing to do Norma as a mezzo-soprano (with her rival, Adalgisa, sung by a soprano) inverts recent performance practice. When “Norma” opens the Met’s season on Sept. 25, for example, it will star the powerhouse soprano Sondra Radvanovsky in the title role, and the company’s reigning bel canto mezzo, Joyce DiDonato, as Adalgisa.

But Ms. Bartoli noted that Norma was originally sung by Giuditta Pasta, who also sang Rossini’s Cenerentola and other roles now associated with mezzo-sopranos; Adalgisa was sung by Giulia Grisi, praised as Norina in Donizetti’s “Don Pasquale” and in other roles commonly done today by sopranos. Ms. Bartoli also pointed out that having a richer-voiced, more mature-sounding Norma losing her lover, Pollione, to a lighter-voiced rival works better dramatically.

“It makes such sense when you see that,” she said in the interview, which was conducted before the rumor surfaced that she might bring the role to New York. “Why would Pollione quit Norma? For the younger one, for the virginal one.”

The “Norma” and “Ariodante,” which was directed by Christof Loy, both originated at the Salzburg Whitsun Festival, which Ms. Bartoli has infused with new energy since she became its artistic director in 2012. The opera productions she appears in during this springtime event are revived a few months later at the main Salzburg Festival, where they reach broader audiences and are given longer runs.

Her return to Salzburg as both a star singer and an impresario brings her career full circle. When she was just starting out, she recalled, she auditioned in the main Festival Theater for Herbert von Karajan, shortly before his death in 1989, and some of her earliest days in Salzburg were captured in a documentary film, “Karajan in Salzburg.” She was so unknown then that she was mistakenly listed in the credits as “Cecilia Bardi.”

Reminded of this, she laughed. “Now,” she said, “they know my name!”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/arts ... views&_r=0

maestrob

Re: Cecilia Bartoli, Last Seen With a Beard, May Return to New York

Post by maestrob » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks for that, Len. Bartoli is a truly great artist, and news of her coming to NY would be a great event in my book. I'll bet she'll sell out in a heartbeat.

If you can't find this Vivaldi concert on youtube, buy the DVD: it's one of the great concerts of my lifetime......

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:06 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 pm
If you can't find this Vivaldi concert on youtube, buy the DVD: it's one of the great concerts of my lifetime......

Brian thanks-this seems to be it. Regards, Len

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwyQZhBlZw

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Seems like we are "due" some more recordings from Bartoli. It's been a while, and I've enjoyed every one she has had released so far. Quite an extraordinary voice.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]