A wonderful discovery

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

arepo

A wonderful discovery

Post by arepo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:34 am

I recently heard a performance by a quartet of students from Curtis of the Mendelssohn String Quartet # 2 in A minor, Opus 13. I was not aware of this gem and I was astounded at the beauty and creativeness of what this fine composer produced at the age of 18. Certainly one of the most superb string quartets I ever heard.
Anyone familiar with this fabulous work?

cliftwood

maestrob

Re: A wonderful discovery

Post by maestrob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:49 am

Hi cliftwood, glad to see you here! :)

Mendelssohn actually wrote 7 string quartets, and IMHO they are all marvelous. Here's a great set I plan on purchasing soon, which includes all his chamber music for strings:

ImageImage

IcedNote

Post by IcedNote » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:46 pm

I've always loved his piano pieces and chamber music. And for a time in undergrad he was my favorite composer. :D There's just something so....delightful about his pieces, if not always profound. Long live Felix!

-G
Harakiried composer reincarnated as a nonprofit development guy.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 pm

For me, too, Mendelssohn, one of my TOP 10 composers of all time. The man was an absolute genius ... orchestral, choral, piano, concertos, songs, songs without words, chamber music ... even the smallest works are gems. We can also thank Mendelssohn for bringing back the music of JS Bach and others who, in Mendelssohn's time, had already been largely abandoned. When I get through those Pearly White Gates, I am looking forward to spending time with all these great composers!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]