Norman Lebrecht

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Norman Lebrecht

Post by Belle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:59 am

This music writer REALLY annoys me!! He wrote a book called "The Maestro Myth" some time ago which is an ironic title since he himself perpetuates myths and often just makes things up!! He claimed that Carlos Kleiber was "not a great conductor" - this had me seething. Posted below is his valediction to Klaus Tennstedt when that conductor died in 1998 and it's full of fabrications. The first is "if he couldn't conduct he didn't want to live". What utter rubbish! In a BBC program from 1991 called "Desert Island Discs" he was asked about whether or not he could live a life without conducting and he replied emphatically that there were many things in life for him apart from music; he nominated books, art and the like. Then there is the appalling comment that his gig with the London Philharmonic was the "only position he filled with any accomplishment". Lebrecht's style of writing is entirely consistent with somebody fabricating a life; full of half-truths and gross hyperbole. It isn't an accurate portrait of the man at all. The final travesty is his assertion that Tennstedt wasn't really a cerebral or intellectual man and, consequently, soon ran out of conversation! How hard it must have been for the maestro negotiating a life around the Einsteins of the music profession and falling short!!!

Only recently Lebrecht has re-published this same article on his music blog, obviously very proud of his achievement. I wonder how he has become so famous and well regarded? It remains a mystery to me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4711 ... tself.html

Anyway, it seems the same condition which afflicted Father Jack Hackett (from "Father Ted") has infected Lebrecht; the Hairy Hand, Stage 6!!! That, of course, would be his writing hand. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV_CQrHKna8

John F

Re: Norman Lebrecht

Post by John F » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 am

Well regarded? By who? Lebrecht has been practicing a kind of muckraking controversy for its own sake that compels attention, but as you've found out, you can't trust him. One review of "The Maestro Myth" says, and it's entirely justified: "Nearly every page contains some careless blunder or spelling mistake. Too much of 'The Maestro Myth' in fact betrays the sensibility of a tabloid columnist who cannot distinguish between tattle and truth - and worse, doesn`t seem to care."

His most recent book, "The Life and Death of Classical Music" (2007), libeled Klaus Heymann, the founder of Naxos Records. Most of Lebrecht's victims just let his comments pass, but not Heymann, who sued him. The publisher settled out of court and agreed to recall unsold copies of the book and other undisclosed penalties. Since then there have been no more Lebrecht books, and no wonder - no publisher with any sense, let alone self-respect, would have anything to do with that kind of author. Nor does any newspaper publish his stuff any longer. Instead he publishes it himself in the blog "Slipped Disc." Quote from that and you'll hear from me. :mrgreen:
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 pm

I think Lebrecht KNOWS he raises the brows and tempers of people everywhere ... this is what he wants and likes. I pay zero attention to him.

Here's a little blurb on him:

http://www.overgrownpath.com/2007/10/no ... rivia.html
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 pm
I think Lebrecht KNOWS he raises the brows and tempers of people everywhere ... this is what he wants and likes. I pay zero attention to him.

Obviously the man is integrity-challenged!! The thing which most infuriates me about him is his serial criticism of the Vienna Philharmonic - on any number of issues.

He's annoying to even talk about. Enough!! :roll:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Agreed. He's not worth the time.
Belle wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 am
Lance wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Obviously the man is integrity-challenged!! The thing which most infuriates me about him is his serial criticism of the Vienna Philharmonic - on any number of issues.

He's annoying to even talk about. Enough!! :roll:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Teehee. What a lot of sound and fury he arouses. I really enjoy Lebrecht, while knowing I can't trust much of what he says. But I can't trust much in the Sydney Morning Herald or Australian, or the news broadcasters - why should he be different?
Obviously I'm waddling to a different beat. :D

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:15 pm

I draw the line at blatant fabrications - fake news. It's Lebrecht's shtick. It was people like Lebrecht who caused Carlos Kleiber to have complete contempt for critics and journalists and he avoided them during his career. One resentful German critic referred to Kleiber, in a 2011 documentary, as "a prima donna who knew he was a prima donna". He naively suggested that Kleiber was so important and influential that no publicity could ever have hurt him anyway. Ergo, it's revealing to note that Carlos wouldn't even sign up for sycophancy.

I have Lebrecht's book "The Maestro Myth", which I bought to reference information on Kleiber last year; it has proven almost completely useless in that regard. At the moment I'm researching Klaus Tennstedt for a program for our community music group in March. I've just been reading the chapter on Tennstedt in the "revised edition of 2001" and this howler is there:

"Tennstedt may yet rise again"(p.240).
When the book was 'revised' Klaus Tennstedt had already been dead 3 years so his 'rise' would be one of biblical proportions!!!

(Note to self: stop with the Lebrecht, already! He really does have The Hairy Hand, Stage 6.)