Reputations Risen From Oblivion

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Re: Reputations Risen From Oblivion

Post by lennygoran » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 am

barney wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:33 am
It's called William Tell, but quickly morphs to Carmen.
Barney, Sue and I felt the Tell was great-the Carmen didn't work well for us. Regards, Len

PS-I decided to google Donizetti yodel and came up with this about his opera Betley which I have but have never played-that will change tonight!
"The "Swiss" character of the work is highlighted by employing a yodel-type figure in Betly's cavatina In questo semplice, modesto asilo." :lol:

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:21 pm

First of all, you should look into Norbert Burgmuller (1810-1836) whose early death at age 26 was, according to Robert Schumann, the second greatest tragedy to befall Germanic music during his lifetime, after only the early death of Franz Schubert.
Wilhelm Stenhammar (1871-1927) was a Swedish composer whose music was long neglected but is being revived. He has a number of orchestral works which have received prominent notice, but I am particularly impressed by his less well known six string quartets, which are spread througout his career and serve as benchmarks for his musical development.
Marc Antoine Charpentier (1643-1703). A contemporary of Buxtehude, Charpentier composed both sacred and profane music. The recordings of his works on French Harmonia Mundi by William Christie are particularly lovely.
Reynaldo Hahn (1875-1947) was a very fine composer, especially of songs.
Have you, in your musical journeys, come across Alberic Magnard (1865-1914) yet? Very interesting composer and person generally. The manner of his death suggests that he was channelling John Wayne when John Wayne was only 7 years old. Interesting music, too, including four published symphonies and lots of chamber music.
This is just a partial list.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:12 pm

As John F indicated, the Mozart Ein Musikalischer Spaß [A Musical Joke], K. 522 was recorded by the Vienna Konzerthaus Quartet for Westminster. It was subsequently reissued in a 59-CD boxed set by Deutsche Grammophon (all Westminster-based recordings), as catalogue number 812.735, which I was (smartly) fortunate to acquire.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Stenhammar's quartets are indeed really fine music. My favorite is the fifth, called "Serenade," which often sounds remarkably like Beethoven - a good way for a string quartet to sound - though the quirky second movement is unlike anybody else's music, and Beethoven never wrote anything like the harmonic turns in the quicksilver scherzo, such as the last three chords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8vL1-oku_Q

I believe Stenhammar's music has never been out of fashion in his native Sweden, but it hasn't "risen from oblivion" elsewhere.
John Francis