Guido Cantelli

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

david johnson

Guido Cantelli

Post by david johnson » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:40 am

I've sampled some Cantelli recordings in the past few days. Does he appear much in your personal collections? His Vivaldi/Four Seasons/New York Phil has a different sound, for sure.

maestrob

Re: Guido Cantelli

Post by maestrob » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Cantelli was one of the great ones, whose life was cut short by a plane crash, IIRC. He was inspired in his musical thinking by his relationship with Toscanini, and was thought by the great Maestro to be his heir apparent. Cantelli's complete EMI output is available in an ICON box, and I would recommend the set very strongly: you'll not be disappointed. Other live recordings with the NY Philharmonic and the NBC orchestra have appeared sporadically: they are all worth having.

When Cantelli was killed, the news was withheld from Toscanini, who was in poor health. IIRC, Toscanini never learned of Cantelli's death. JohnF, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

John F

Post by John F » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:58 pm

That's right. Also, Cantelli was in line to become the New York Philharmonic's music director following Mitropoulos; his death cleared the way for Leonard Bernstein.
John Francis

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Indeed, Guido Cantelli has long been a favourite. Aside from the "Icon" box on EMI/Warner [79043, 9 CDs], Testament issued three volumes of broadcast performances [12 CDs in all, catalogue numbers 1306, 1317, 1336] plus all the NBC recordings on two CDs [Testament 2194]. I believe all of these are now out-of-print. Testament also early-on [1996] issued another disc [1017] that is still being made available. Besides all of this, there are myriad recordings on other labels of live performances with R. Serkin, Backhaus, Heifetz, etc. [many on the defunct AS Disc series]. Archipel, Guild Historical, Hanssler, ICA Classics, Andromeda, Legend, Memories, Music & Arts, and many others have interesting material.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Post by John F » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:54 pm

Do any of these include Cantelli's unfinished recording of Beethoven's 5th with the Philharmonia? I believe that was once issued by EMI but I could be wrong; anyway, I didn't get it.
John Francis