Netrebko & Eyvazov "Romanza" [DGG]

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Netrebko & Eyvazov "Romanza" [DGG]

Post by Lance » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:50 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
DGG 479 7679 [2 CDs] (Deluxe Edition)

Well, here's an interesting "crossover" CD of 18 tracks on one disc by the Ukranian-Russian composer Igor Krutoy [b.1954], with whom husband/wife Netrebko and Eyvazov have been friends. The album is simply entitled "Romanza," and in a word, is all about love. From the outset, I must say that I was very much taken with Krutoy's works.

The liner tray has this to say: "Romance is in the air as soprano Anna Netrebko and tenor Yusif Eyvazov - partners both on and off the stage - celebrate their love in their first duet album together, performing songs specially written for them by Igor Krutoy, one of Russia's most popular songwriters. In this deluxe edition, these intense and tender songs are complemented with highlights from Netrebko's outstanding career, favourite arias and duets with a glittering array of the soprano's most illustrious colleagues." [The collaborative artists include Thomas Quasthoff, Elina Garanca. Claudio Abbado, Noseda, Gergiev, Pappano, Luisi, Villaume.] Included are some live cuts on this, the second disc.

So, if your first thought is to bypass works by Mr. Krutoy, you might pick the double-CD up because of the second disc of regular opera fare. Good marketing strategy by DGG, and to call it a "deluxe edition." However, you would be missing some marvelous singing by each artist, or in duets, that might add some spice to your musical day. The Krutoy selections were recorded with session orchestras in London and Los Angeles. Both artists are in top voices; here, there is a richness in the lower area of Netrebko's voice while her highest notes ring richly and fully. A surprise to some might be the extraordinary voice of Yusif Eyvazov. The accompanying booklet contains many romantic-type photographs.

Highly recommended.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Netrebko & Eyvazov "Romanza" [DGG]

Post by maestrob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Sounds intriguing, Lance, but I've already spent my allowance for October! I'll put this one on my Christmas list.......

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Netrebko & Eyvazov "Romanza" [DGG]

Post by Lance » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 am

Yes, Brian, I know this feeling VERY WELL, indeed! Maybe your lovely other half will surprise you!
maestrob wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:47 pm
Sounds intriguing, Lance, but I've already spent my allowance for October! I'll put this one on my Christmas list.......
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]