Concerts in NYC - November 15-17?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Ricordanza

Concerts in NYC - November 15-17?

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 am

My wife and I will be in NYC on these evenings (checking out from our hotel/time share on November 18). If you can point me to an on-line listing of concerts, or you can suggest specific concerts on those dates, please let me know.

I already know about the Gergiev/Trifonov concert on November 15, but I'm not sure we can handle the 7 pm starting time. (Why are they starting at 7 pm???)

Any non-concert suggestions (e.g., Broadway shows, museum exhibits) would also be appreciated.

lennygoran

Re: Concerts in NYC - November 15-17?

Post by lennygoran » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:03 am
Any non-concert suggestions (e.g., Broadway shows, museum exhibits) would also be appreciated.
Henry how exciting-so much depends on one's tastes-for Sue and myself the Metropolitan museum of Art is just the greatest-go to their website-there are always new exhibits and their regular exhibits aren't chopped liver either! :lol: Where is your hotel located-what part of the city. Just curious-why is 7PM tough for you for getting to a concert? Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:56 am

You probably know that the New York Philharmonic will be out of town while you're here. There's nothing doing at Geffen Hall, City Center, Hunter College, John Jay College, the Manhattan School of Music, or Town Hall; Tully Hall will have a concert by the Mannes School's student orchestra; Juillard will be presenting Mozart's "La Finta Giardiniera," which of course isn't a concert. If you're interested in Vassilis Varbaresos, he's playing a piano recital at Merkin Hall at 6:30 on the 16th. That's about it for Manhattan; there's nothing doing in Brooklyn while you're here. As luck would have it, you appear to have chosen the worst possible time for classical concerts in New York.

A couple of non-concerts that might appeal to you, or they might not. At the Library for the Performing Arts there will be two exhibitions relating to classical music. One is about the George Balanchine production of Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker," which is open now and I think quite interesting.

https://www.nypl.org/events/exhibitions ... nutcracker

The other is titled "Toscanini: Preserving a Legacy in Sound." It won't open until early November, but here's a preview:

http://www.lincolncenter.org/show/tosca ... y-in-sound

If you come to the library on Friday afternoon, I can meet you there. From 4:30 on, I'll be on duty at the information desk opposite the library's entrance on Lincoln Center Plaza; earlier than that, I can meet you there and show you around; and if you like, there are reasonably priced cafés nearby, including one in the library, for a light lunch.

Also relating to Toscanini is a meeting of the New York Chapter of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections celebrating the 80th anniversary of his first broadcast concert with the NBC Symphony Orchestra. Audio wizard Seth Winner will be the presenter and Harvey Sachs, author of the definitive biography of Toscanini, will join him. It will be at the CUNY Sonic Arts Center, 160 Convent Avenue, November 16 at 7pm. Membership is not required and admission is free.

That concert, which aired on Christmas Day 1937, will be played in a program at the library on Saturday the 18th at 11am. The audio has been restored by Seth Winner. Toscanini conducted Vivaldi, concerto grosso op. 3 no. 11; Mozart, Symphony #40; and Brahms, Symphony #1. I expect we'll hear not just the music but the announcements as well.

I'm afraid this is all I can come up with. Sorry!
John Francis

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:00 am

lennygoran wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 am
Just curious-why is 7PM tough for you for getting to a concert? Regards, Len
Because of a medical appointment on that day, we can't leave the South Jersey area until about 2 pm. Maybe it won't be a problem; I'm just nervous about these things. Our hotel is right near Carnegie Hall, so that's not an issue.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Ricordanza wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:00 am
Because of a medical appointment on that day, we can't leave the South Jersey area until about 2 pm. Maybe it won't be a problem; I'm just nervous about these things. Our hotel is right near Carnegie Hall, so that's not an issue.
Henry leaving South Jersey around 2-yeah I could see that being a concern-so much depends on traffic-checking in to the hotel, depositing the car,etc. I think it could still be done but I'd be nervous too-you might not have time for a pleasant leisurely dinner--still the Carnegie Hall area is loaded with eating spots. Among items that might interest you the Met opera has performances during your stay. Regards, Len :)

barney

Post by barney » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Under no circumstances miss an opportunity to hear Trifonov live, if it is at all possible to get there.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:59 am

Barney, you're right. I've now purchased tickets, so I'm monetarily poorer but anticipating being musically enriched. I'll find a way to get there on time. Here's the program:

Performers
Mariinsky Orchestra
Valery Gergiev, Music Director and Conductor
Daniil Trifonov, Piano
Program
R. STRAUSS Don Juan
DANIIL TRIFONOV Piano Concerto (NY Premiere)
PROKOFIEV Symphony No. 6

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Looking forward to the review.......... :D

John F

Post by John F » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Gergiev's Prokofiev 6 is really special, or it was when I heard it with the London Symphony. So is the music, which is far less well known than the 5th symphony but deserves better. Looks like it should be an enjoyable concert from beginning to end.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:04 pm

barney wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:09 pm
Under no circumstances miss an opportunity to hear Trifonov live, if it is at all possible to get there.
I've just been reading this:

https://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2017/10/27/wu ... -by-storm/

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:44 am

Belle wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:04 pm
barney wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:09 pm
I've just been reading this:

https://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2017/10/27/wu ... -by-storm/
I have his Liszt and Chopin albums sitting unopened on my shelves. Not for long....... :)