What I listened to today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Re: What I listened to today

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:10 am

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:49 am

John F wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:11 pm
ContrapunctusIX wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:06 pm
Shostakovich: string quartets
Borodin Quartet (stereo set, 1-15)

Not as well-recorded as the Decca Fitzwilliam set, but better musically. Working my way through the set in chronological order.
If you can get it, the original Borodin Quartet (with Rostislav Dubinsky, 1st violin) is best of all, I'd say, though it omits the quartets composed after Dubinsky emigrated. Kopelman is certainly a good player but not so special.
Thanks John, I’ll be sure to check that out. I believe I looked at it on amazon sometime back; it’s in mono, right?

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 am

Wagner: Walkure III, scene 3 & Siegfried III complete 1985

Thomas Stewart (Wotan)
Ute Vinzing (Brunnhilde)
James King (Siegfried)
Christa Ludwig (Erda)

Vienna Philharmonic
cond. Leonard Bernstein
Last edited by jserraglio on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Strauss: Elektra

Elektra - Astrid Varnay
Chrysothemis - Hildegard Hillebrecht
Clytemnestra - Martha Mödl
Aegisth - James King
Orest - Eberhard Wächter

Wiener Philharmoniker
Herbert von Karajan

Salzburg Festival August 17, 1964

John F

Post by John F » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:51 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 am
Wagner: Walkure III, scene 3 & Siegfried III complete 1985

Thomas Stewart (Wotan)
Ute Vinzing (Brunnhilde)
James King (Siegfried)
Christa Ludwig (Erda)

Vienna Philharmonic
cond. Leonard Bernstein
James King's voice (and physique) were ideal for Siegfried, but this is his only performance of any part of that role. He also avoided Tristan, singing only Act 2 (with the conventional big cut) in concert at Indiana University. Most of his operatic roles were quite short, however demanding - Bacchus in "Ariadne auf Naxos" is typical. A good thing too, because as he said in a New York talk, he always sang his part complete with full voice on the day of the performance. :roll: For more about King's career and attitudes, see this interview:

http://www.bruceduffie.com/king.html
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:58 pm

Today, Biber's Rosenkranz Sonaten 1-8. Love that scordatura!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-SrUZUluU

ContrapunctusIX

Post by ContrapunctusIX » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Beethoven: Late Quartets
Juilliard Quartet (60’s recording)
Sony

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:01 pm

Today I'm listening to my CD "Martha Argerich Live from The Concertgebouw 1978 and 1979". The CD includes the Scherzo #3 in C sharp Minor by Chopin; well, what a hurry she is in playing this piece. Argerich rushes over the poetic parts of the work and her concentration is on technique and bravura; many of the sections were just a blurr of notes. My experience with this pianist is that she's always in a hurry and has an appointment somewhere. Such a pity as this Scherzo is a charming work. The Bartok sonata is just bang bang. The only pieces I like on this CD are Ginastera "Danzas Argentinas", Op. 2. The Bach Partita No. 2 was pleasing also. Otherwise, a very mixed bag which didn't endear me to this musician one bit.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:07 am

Just listening to MediciTV broadcast of Sunday night's concert with the National Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Gianadrea Noseda. This piece was particularly stunning: Joshua Bell, violin.

Pablo de Sarasate, Carmen Fantasy Op. 25
Introduction and Habañera

And what delectable dishes are both conductor and soloist!!!

Then this stunning Credo by PENDERECKI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1AeZOEA0TU

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm

I absolutely adore the Ravel String Quartet in F Major and am listening to it right now. Joy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieRQyyPowH0

What's not to absolutely love about Ravel?

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Penderecki, Concerto Grosso (for 3 Cellos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDRsxm3HrNE

I sent my Polish physician friend the Penderecki 'Credo' because he dared me to find something "accessible" from this composer. He returned with "I hate it". I don't think he'd be too fond of the Concerto Grosso, though it does sound a little like Shostakovich (I agree with one of the U-tube comments).

John F

Post by John F » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 am

What did you think of the violin concerto I recommended to you? (If you've listened to it.)
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:00 am

John F wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 am
What did you think of the violin concerto I recommended to you? (If you've listened to it.)
I found it no more or less accessible than, say, Berg and it's the sort of work I see could myself appreciating more in the concert hall than at home on the hi-fi system (if that makes any sense). But I don't see myself owning a recording of it.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 am

In the last 30 hours we have travelled about 800km round trip by car to see one of my husband's oldest friends who is dying of cancer. We arrived at the hospital at 11am today to find him in a deep coma, surrounded by family. On the way back home - a 6 plus hour trip - I listened to Beethoven Symphony #7. I found great consolation in that work and I felt empowered by its majesty. Last night I couldn't sleep at all so it was the "Hammerklavier". That will never put anybody to sleep.

In times of extreme stress and trouble I turn to Beethoven.

John F

Post by John F » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 am

2018 is turning out to be a bad year for our old friends. One of the library volunteers just lost his best friend to cancer, and my oldest friend - we go back nearly 60 years to college - is dying of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known in America as Lou Gehrig's Disease. We older ones had better make the most of our friendships while we still can.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 am

John F wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 am
2018 is turning out to be a bad year for our old friends. One of the library volunteers just lost his best friend to cancer, and my oldest friend - we go back nearly 60 years to college - is dying of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known in America as Lou Gehrig's Disease. We older ones had better make the most of our friendships while we still can.
Totally agree. How sad for both of you. We just lost a close friend to complications from pneumonia of all things. He just didn't agree to go to the hospital in time. My sincerest condolences.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 pm

You're always such a thoughtful person; thank you for your comment. I feel it's time to hug those near and dear as we slip closer towards our own eternity. Recently a close friend's son was killed instantly in a car accident (he was 39) and I wrote to her during one of our exchanges, "I wanted to tell you it was one of the best days of my life when I met you". I think we need to say this often to those friends we love, even if this is more problematic (for me) with family!!

When I was listening to the Beethoven I was thinking of the great man dying in that room in Schwarzpanierplatz in Vienna over a protracted number of days - without the aid of doctors, nursing staff and morphine!! Dreadful to contemplate.