What I listened to today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Re: What I listened to today

Post by jserraglio » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 pm

Who here has heard of pianist Edith Farnadi (that is, besides Lance, who has heard of everybody)? Well, I just dug out one of my old vinyl records and confirmed my impression from years ago that this lady was one terrific pianist. In addition to her exuberant, sparkling playing of these Hungarian Rhapsodies, the piano sound on this mono Westminster recording is superb.

John F

Post by John F » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:10 pm

I have some of her Westminster records, such as the Bartok 2nd and 3rd piano concertos with Hermann Scherchen - very fine.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 am

OTELLO-MET.JAN.5, 2019 - Complete broadcast

OTELLO
Giuseppe Verdi-
Libretto: Arrigo Boito / William Shakespeare
Metropolitan Opera House, NYC., January 5, 2019

Otello: Stuart Skelton
Desdemona: Sonya Yoncheva
Iago: Zeljko Lucic
Emilia: Jennifer Johnson Cano
Cassio: Alexey Dolgov
Lodovico: James Morris
Montàno: Jeff Mattsey
Roderigo: Chad Shelton
Herald: Kidon Choi

The Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus
Conductor: Gustavo DudameL
=====================================
Production: Bartlett Sher
Set Designer: Es Devlin
Costume Designer: Catherine Zuber
Lighting Designer: Donald Holder
Projection Designer: Luke Halls
Stage Director: Gina Lapinski

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:38 pm

On Saturday, 12 JAN 2019, I listened to 2 CDs.

1. Jean Sibelius (1865-1957): |Tr. 1-3. Symphony 5 in E Flat Major, Op. 82 (30'24) |Tr. 4-7. Symphony 6 in D Minor, Op. 104 (28'53)--Paavo Berglund, cond., Helsinki Philharmonic Orch. Rec. Helsinki Culture Hall, 18-19 DEC 1986 (#5), MAY, 1986 (#6). CD 3 0f a 5 CD Warner Classics set of the complete Sibelius symphonies, + selected other orchestral works.

The Fifth is probably Sibelius's second most popular symphony, after the Second. It is, uncharacteristically of Sibelius, an extroverted, optimistic work. Originally composed in the traditional four movements, Sibelius later decided to combine the first two into one. Horn calls are featured throughout, and I, for one, cannot listen to it without evoking images of mountain communities and scenes in my mind.

The liner notes for the Sixth Symphony say, "The complete antithesis of its predecessor, all four movements of thee Sixth...eschew the grand manner in exchange for a stream of seamless musical poetics where everything appears to grow naturally and effortlessly out of what has preceded it."

2. CD 4 of a 14 CD DECCA set entitled "Arthur Grumiaux Mono Reocridngs." |Tr. 1-3. Mendelssohn (1809-47): Violin Concerto in E Minor, Op. 64 (26'31)--Rudolf Moralt, cond., Wiener Symphoniker--rec. 9/1954, Wien. |Tr. 4-6. Paganini (1782-1840): Violin Concert 4 in D Minor (29'22)--Franco Gallini, cond., Orchestre de Concerts Lamoureaux--rec. 11/1954, Paris.

The Mendelssohn seems profoundly introspective. The Paganini is a nice contrast, certainly not as great a work, but happy and extroverted, with plenty of toe-tapping provocations. If this were the last work on a program, you would be bound to walk out of the concert hall with a little spring in your step.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

John F

Post by John F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 am

It surprises me how many serious-minded violinists have played and recorded Paganini concertos, which to my ears are trivial and silly. Grumiaux recorded two of them, no. 1 as well; others include Yehudi Menuhin, Henryk Szering and Leonid Kogan. I guess the impulse to show off was too strong for them to resist.
John Francis

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:12 am

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:13 pm

John F wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 am
It surprises me how many serious-minded violinists have played and recorded Paganini concertos, which to my ears are trivial and silly. Grumiaux recorded two of them, no. 1 as well; others include Yehudi Menuhin, Henryk Szering and Leonid Kogan. I guess the impulse to show off was too strong for them to resist.
To the best of my knowledge, Salvatore Accardo is the only one who has recorded all the Paganini violin concerti.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:38 am

TMK Heifetz did not record them, but I'd have to double-check. My memory says no.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Heifetz never played a Paganini concerto with the New York Philharmonic, and while he recorded three of the caprices and the Moto Perpetuo - in arrangements with piano accompaniment - his enormous discography does not include the concertos. His discography is here - see for yourselves:

http://jaschaheifetz.org/discography.html

It's not that Heifetz was too high-minded to bother with such stuff; the discography includes quite a lot of shlock, mostly short pieces suitable for encores (or one side of a 78).
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:47 am

It's nearly midnight here and I have on my iPod and headphones Beethoven #9. Anima Eterna/Jos Van Immerseel on period instruments. Lovely, translucent sound and timbre - especially the divine third movement. It's taken me years to come to terms with this symphony because I'm not especially enamored of the last movement. The rest of it is amazing and surprisingly tender and intimate for a large-scale work. In the third movement the gentle pizzicato ostinato under that sublime melody is to-die-for. Then the horns gracefully intoning a variation on that theme, followed by flutes and eventually winds. There are shades of Mozart's Gran Partita here!! All of sudden the whole thing moves up in tempo at the reiteration of the theme and you get a feeling of rejuvenation, exuberance and rebirth.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:56 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:47 am
It's nearly midnight here and I have on my iPod and headphones Beethoven #9. Anima Eterna/Jos Van Immerseel on period instruments. Lovely, translucent sound and timbre - especially the divine third movement. It's taken me years to come to terms with this symphony because I'm not especially enamored of the last movement. The rest of it is amazing and surprisingly tender and intimate for a large-scale work. In the third movement the gentle pizzicato ostinato under that sublime melody is to-die-for. Then the horns gracefully intoning a variation on that theme, followed by flutes and eventually winds. There are shades of Mozart's Gran Partita here!! All of sudden the whole thing moves up in tempo at the reiteration of the theme and you get a feeling of rejuvenation, exuberance and rebirth.
Lucky you! I have that complete set, and recommend it highly.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:44 pm

Please believe me when I say that not a single day goes by without my giving thanks for the existence of Beethoven - especially in times of illness and family crisis. The ground will never give way beneath me because of this composer, and Bach.