What I listened to today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Febnyc

Re: What I listened to today

Post by Febnyc » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:58 pm

Eugene Zador (1894-1977) should be much better known. His "serious" music is extremely accessible - late-romantic in style and quite evocative. And after he emigrated to the U. S. in 1939 he composed many movie scores for MGM (most of them anonymously) while orchestrating for other composers. Zador worked in Hollywood with his more heralded Hungarian compatriot, Miklós Rózsa.

In its enterprising fashion, Naxos has issued a batch of CDs showcasing Zador's music. This one, for instance, features a powerful Biblical Triptych (Joseph/David/Paul) which describes these three in vivid tones. It's really a tripartite tone poem.

A Christmas Overture is a lovely picture of the season, replete with a sleigh ride, a nativity scene and an adoration.

All of the Naxos/Zador discs are interesting and provide a glimpse of a sophisticated composer whose neglect and consequential anonymity are undeserved.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:35 am

Interesting you bring up this CD on Eugene Zador. I know not his work at all. Whenever I see a recording with unknown Christmas music, I usually get it with thoughts to broadcasting Christmas music during the season. I missed this one. Can you advise on the style or quality of music in these pieces? How would you describe them? How much "20th" century do they sound? That isn't meant to demean 20th century music, just my curiosity.
Febnyc wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:58 pm
Eugene Zador (1894-1977) should be much better known. His "serious" music is extremely accessible - late-romantic in style and quite evocative. And after he emigrated to the U. S. in 1939 he composed many movie scores for MGM (most of them anonymously) while orchestrating for other composers. Zador worked in Hollywood with his more heralded Hungarian compatriot, Miklós Rózsa.

In its enterprising fashion, Naxos has issued a batch of CDs showcasing Zador's music. This one, for instance, features a powerful Biblical Triptych (Joseph/David/Paul) which describes these three in vivid tones. It's really a tripartite tone poem.

A Christmas Overture is a lovely picture of the season, replete with a sleigh ride, a nativity scene and an adoration.

All of the Naxos/Zador discs are interesting and provide a glimpse of a sophisticated composer whose neglect and consequential anonymity are undeserved.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:02 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:35 am
Interesting you bring up this CD on Eugene Zador. I know not his work at all. Whenever I see a recording with unknown Christmas music, I usually get it with thoughts to broadcasting Christmas music during the season. I missed this one. Can you advise on the style or quality of music in these pieces? How would you describe them? How much "20th" century do they sound? That isn't meant to demean 20th century music, just my curiosity.
Lance:

Thanks for your interest in Zádor.

There is no "20th Century" sound in A Christmas Overture. With its spirited opening bars, and although it is not as evocative or quintessential holiday fare as, say, Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride, I think it would make a nice eight-minute opening to a broadcast.

You might get an idea of it here: https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=8.573529

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:17 am

Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:18 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:58 pm
Eugene Zador (1894-1977) should be much better known.
Thanks,my first hearing of him.

While probably a one-hear for me, I did enjoy and find interesting his "Biblical Triptych" , especially "Paul."

I went on to hear his brief "Rhapsody for Orchestra" , well worth the hearing, more "successful" to my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DeLd_ShWb0

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:22 pm

Wiener Philharmoniker Neujahrskonzert, 2024. Be quick: it's the French broadcast and will be taken down very soon. Christian Thielemann looks so handsome and youthful out front in his stunning livery!! It's impossible to believe he's 64 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnNB-uPWbCA

Seated in the audience on the ground floor I noticed Dr. Thomas Angyan, former Director of the Musikverein and Dominique Meyer, Director of Wiener Staatsoper. I do remember the former seated up on the balkon loge to the middle right (looking into the auditorium) with the other VIPs and their wives. He looks kind of dejected today sitting where he is!!

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:29 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:18 pm
Thanks,my first hearing of him.

While probably a one-hear for me, I did enjoy and find interesting his "Biblical Triptych" , especially "Paul."

I went on to hear his brief "Rhapsody for Orchestra" , well worth the hearing, more "successful" to my ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DeLd_ShWb0
Thanks for the comments.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:32 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:38 pm
Sight unseen (or hearing unheard?) I came to this CD having known only a couple of short clips. It turned out to be a find - and a disc containing two of the most contrasting works I've come across.

Boris Pigovat (b.1953) was born in Russia and relocated to Israel in his 40s.

Holocaust Requiem (1994-1995) is written for orchestra and solo viola, and runs to 50 minutes. It plumbs the depths of suffering and brutality. Its four movements follow sections of the Latin Mass text: Requiem aeternam; Dies irae; Lacrimosa; Lux aeterna. And the viola, which has one or two extended cadenzas, is meant to represent the human voice. The music moves from sadness, through screams of anger and pain, to acceptance and a glimpse of rest for those who perished. It's powerful.

From this anguished and moving composition we segue to Pigovat's exquisite Poem of Dawn (2010). This is music dressed in warmth and light and very attractive it is. Here the viola floats and expresses some awfully rich tonal beauty. The work's seventeen minutes went by too fast. A dark horse winner!

A compelling work for sure. Composer unknown to me before now. Many thanks. The Poem of Dawn is an exquisite work and a welcome relief after the Requiem.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:49 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:32 pm

A compelling work for sure. Composer unknown to me before now. Many thanks. The Poem of Dawn is an exquisite work and a welcome relief after the Requiem.
Relief, indeed.

Glad you listened to and appreciated this music.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:06 pm

On a completely different note, Carlos Kleiber conducting the Vienna New Year's Concert from 1992 with a very special performance (photographed by the Japanese - whom you'll notice are really only interested in the conductor!). Josef Strauss Sphärenklänge op.235

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww0MivziqSc

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:15 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:38 pm

Boris Pigovat (b.1953) was born in Russia and relocated to Israel in his 40s.

Holocaust Requiem (1994-1995) is written for orchestra and solo viola, and runs to 50 minutes... It's powerful.

Indeed powerful, all the more so for its clarity and restraint. My first hearing of the work and composer. Thank you.This will be a re-hear.

At YT as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS494o9 ... ufAVU-Rcto

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:52 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:15 pm
Holocaust Requiem (1994-1995) is written for orchestra and solo viola, and runs to 50 minutes... It's powerful.

Indeed powerful, all the more so for its clarity and restraint. My first hearing of the work and composer. Thank you.This will be a re-hear.

At YT as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS494o9 ... ufAVU-Rcto
Thank you for the comments.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:51 pm

Delightful live recital, enthusiastically played by both artists,Moser a huge talent.Perhaps my first hearings of the Martinu and superb work of Boulanger, the Prokofieff and Poulenc among my fav works of the composers:

Enregistré le 28 novembre 2023, à la Maison de la Radio de Munich

Nadia Boulanger - Trois pièces
Serge Prokofiev - Sonate en do Majeur pour violoncelle et piano, op. 119
Francis Poulenc - Sonate pour violoncelle et piano, FP 143
Bohuslav Martinu - Variations sur un Thème de Rossini, H. 290

Johannes Moser, violoncelle, Andrei Korobeinikov, piano

https://auvio.rtbf.be/media/concert-con ... 0h-3139486

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:24 am

The Tetzlaff siblings play the Brahms Double Concerto live with Andrew Manze,NDR Radio Phil. in 2023. A Brahms fav of mine:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001tstz

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:19 pm

Pianists Olga Pashchenko and Alexei Volodin (good to hear him again) , live in Amsterdam,Dec.13,2023.My first hearing of the Medtner Op.58,#2.

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/cb84 ... ier-handen

( Sound perhaps a bit tinny, but “ticket price” good. The encore does not play for some reason.)

Suite voor 2 piano's nr.1, op.5, "Fantaisie-tableaux"
Sergej Rachmaninov

Sonate voor piano, op.22 (Pashchenko)
Nikolaj Medtner

Russische rondedans, op.58, nr.1 & Dwalende soldaat, op.58, nr.2
Nikolaj Medtner

Suite voor piano, "Petite suite" (Volodin)
Aleksandr Borodin

Suite voor 2 piano's nr.2, op.17
Sergej Rachmaninov

Stukken voor piano 4h, op.11 (6) - nr.1, "Barcarolle"
Sergej Rachmaninov

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:16 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:51 pm
Delightful live recital, enthusiastically played by both artists,Moser a huge talent.Perhaps my first hearings of the Martinu and superb work of Boulanger, the Prokofieff and Poulenc among my fav works of the composers:

Enregistré le 28 novembre 2023, à la Maison de la Radio de Munich

Nadia Boulanger - Trois pièces
Serge Prokofiev - Sonate en do Majeur pour violoncelle et piano, op. 119
Francis Poulenc - Sonate pour violoncelle et piano, FP 143
Bohuslav Martinu - Variations sur un Thème de Rossini, H. 290

Johannes Moser, violoncelle, Andrei Korobeinikov, piano

https://auvio.rtbf.be/media/concert-con ... 0h-3139486
Excellent concert, thanks! Not so taken with the Martinu, but the Boulanger, Prokofiev & Poulenc all very fine! Korobeinikoff an excellent pianist, my introduction to him.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:21 am

Streamed at https://archive.org/details/porgy-bess- ... -tour-cast

My favorite Porgy and Bess. A stunning document.

GERSHWIN Porgy and Bess • Alexander Smallens, cond; William Warfield ( Porgy ); Leontyne Price ( Bess ); Cab Calloway ( Sporting Life ); John McCurry ( Crown ); Helen Colbert ( Clara ); Blevins Davis/Robert Breen Production Ch; Berlin RIAS SO • AUDITE 23.405 (2 CDs: 139:51) Live: Berlin 9/21/1952

Starting in 1952, as a salvo in the cultural Cold War, the State Department sponsored a world tour of Porgy and Bess , choosing the work for reasons that look particularly quaint today. This set documents one performance from that run, taped at the Titania Palast in Berlin in September 1952. The edition was a hodge-podge by producer Robert Breen that changed the orchestration, cut some of the music, added a few bits (like an instrumental recap of “Bess, You Is My Woman Now” before act II, scene 3 and an extra verse in “It Ain’t Necessarily So”), and shuffled material around in a way that may throw you. (In fact, the transfer of the “Buzzard Song” to act III so confused some critics that, when Guild released this same recording last year, they mistakenly insisted it had been eliminated entirely.) But whatever you think of the political impulse and the editorial impulsiveness, it would be hard to deny that the production had a spectacular cast. The title roles were taken by William Warfield and his young wife, the then virtually unknown Leontyne Price (this may be the earliest recording of her voice to have been commercially issued); and they were supported by Cab Calloway, as well as a couple of singers who had participated in the original 1935 production (Helen Dowdy as Lily and the Strawberry Woman, Ray Yeats as the Crab Man).

Most attention, I’m sure, will be focused on Price, who sings with an astonishing purity of tone (even when she’s teasing), as well as a sure dramatic sense. From the beginning, you can appreciate the conflicts she faces, and her reprise of “Summertime” at the end will break your heart. Still, to my ears, her voice—indeed, her whole demeanor—is slightly too operatic, too cultivated. That quality is heightened by the contrast between her polish and the improvisational earthiness of the Catfish Row residents, who dig into their parts with abandon, often treating the written text as but a scaffold for ornamentation. In act I, they scorn Bess as a whore who’s beneath them; vocally, she sounds out of her element for entirely the opposite reason. Still, it’s hard not to be taken in by her vocal command and by the sheer beauty of her timbre.

Warfield is even better, with superb enunciation, a fluid control over the long cantilenas, and a warm vocal sound that instantly conveys Porgy’s inner spirit: you can well understand why he accepts Bess’s weaknesses and why he returns from jail with gifts for the whole community. Cab Calloway, as Sporting Life, is slightly less flamboyant than I would have expected, but he’s doubly seductive as a result; Helen Colbert and Helen Thigpen are superb as Clara and Serena. The only disappointment among the soloists is John McCurry, a marginally undercharacterized Crown, neither sufficiently menacing nor, in the hurricane scene, reaching the heroism of Lester Lynch on the recent Mauceri recording (30:3).

Ensemble work is exceptional. As I’ve suggested, Catfish Row is represented by singers comfortable with the vernacular traditions that Gershwin had used as his basic material: the give-and-take in the crowd scenes is utterly transfixing. Indeed, while this opera has a problematic vision at its core (it’s certainly hard to take its representation of African-American life without wincing), no other recording so successfully banishes your qualms while you’re listening—for no other recording gives Catfish Row such an infectious sense of community. Smallens, who presided over the premiere, conducts with tremendous energy, favoring quickish tempos and avoiding the score’s temptations to sentimentalize during such hit numbers as “Summertime” and “Bess, You Is My Woman Now.” This performance of Porgy took place only seven years after the collapse of a regime that banned the music as degenerate. But the Berlin orchestra brought in for the occasion seems to have transcended history quickly: they sound entirely immersed in the idiom.

The original tapes were made on what appears to have been state-of-the-art equipment, and the sound is astonishingly clear and vivid for a live recording of that vintage; Audite’s reprocessing is marginally smoother than Guild’s, although the differences are minimal. Not a first choice if you’re going to live with a single recording (I’d pick the Rattle for that), but as a supplement, this is enthusiastically recommended. -- FANFARE: Peter J. Rabinowitz

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:01 am

Fascinating recorded document and review, Joe. Thanks!

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:48 pm

Poulenc's Gloria (Tanglewood 2010,live--Deda,Zinman, Tang.Fest.Chor.,BSO)
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:07 pm

Excellent review by Mr. Rabinowitz. I will be curious to hear this, especially Price in 1952. Also a great fan of William Warfield.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:21 am

Beethoven Piano Sonata 1 in F Minor; the exhilarating and tumultuous 4th movement - Prestissimo - is absolutely to-die-for. I'm revelling in it and it is played wonderfully by Igor Levit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Cj8PIvEjU

Here's a version of the same work from Buchbinder, whom I saw twice in Vienna: he makes the Prestissimo sound more contrapuntal than Levit, who accentuates the percussive element better, I think. Buchbinder is more Mozartean in his presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYXar1FEwno

This was 1795, ladies and gentlemen; get your heads around that!!

Beethoven; you were ABSOLUTELY the M A N!!!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:54 pm

One of the finest, perhaps the finest, most expressive reading I've heard of the Ravel Left Hand PC , here live Dec.,2023, at The Hague , by Yeol Eum Son, pianist, with the Resident Orchestra under Anja Bihlmeier:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/6cee ... tmoet-anja

One of my fav PCs, Boulez allegedly called it the most important PC of the 20th Century.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:35 am

Sibelius 6 Impromptus for Piano, Op. 5. I hadn't heard these pieces before; they're excellent and predictably dark and broody for Sibelius. Pianist unknown to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubmWzPwIj9A

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:37 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:54 pm
One of the finest, perhaps the finest, most expressive reading I've heard of the Ravel Left Hand PC , here live Dec.,2023, at The Hague , by Yeol Eum Son, pianist, with the Resident Orchestra under Anja Bihlmeier:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/6cee ... tmoet-anja

One of my fav PCs, Boulez allegedly called it the most important PC of the 20th Century.
I agree; this Piano Concerto is really something else. Brooding and curiously symphonic on the whole, even though not a long work.

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:25 am

When she was 17 years old, Hilary Hahn released her debut recording, consisting of two of the Bach Partitas and one Sonata for solo violin. This album, which included a gorgeous rendition of the Chaconne, received well-deserved praise. Twenty-two years later, she released this album to complete the set: Sonatas 1 and 2 and Partita 1, all in minor keys. The absolute assurance of Hilary Hahn's playing illuminates the timeless beauty of these pieces. Listening to this recording made my day.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:03 am

Some lesser-known chamber works of Mendelssohn. They're so beautiful - and each one features a brilliant scherzo movement, typical mastery of these pieces from a very young composer.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:04 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:25 am

When she was 17 years old, Hilary Hahn released her debut recording, consisting of two of the Bach Partitas and one Sonata for solo violin. This album, which included a gorgeous rendition of the Chaconne, received well-deserved praise. Twenty-two years later, she released this album to complete the set: Sonatas 1 and 2 and Partita 1, all in minor keys. The absolute assurance of Hilary Hahn's playing illuminates the timeless beauty of these pieces. Listening to this recording made my day.
That would make anyone's day, for sure! Thanks for the recommendation.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:07 am

I don't know why, but my cache of Hilary Hahn's recordings is limited to her five-CD set of her early Columbia recordings, and four of her DGG recordings, the latter of standard repertoire. Was that Decca (her debut recording) the only one she did for the label?
Febnyc wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:04 am
Ricordanza wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:25 am

That would make anyone's day, for sure! Thanks for the recommendation.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:11 am

The Naxos disc arrived yesterday. I will be auditioning it soon if not sooner! I may include "A Christmas Overture" on next year's Christmas music radio broadcast.
Febnyc wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:02 am
Lance:
Thanks for your interest in Zádor.

There is no "20th Century" sound in A Christmas Overture. With its spirited opening bars, and although it is not as evocative or quintessential holiday fare as, say, Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride, I think it would make a nice eight-minute opening to a broadcast.

You might get an idea of it here: https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=8.573529
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:57 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:11 am
The Naxos disc arrived yesterday. I will be auditioning it soon if not sooner! I may include "A Christmas Overture" on next year's Christmas music radio broadcast.
Excellent, Lance! I hope you find it worthwhile.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:02 pm

Perhaps the first work of Arnold Bax I've enjoyed much, may re-hear in the future, his "Symphonic Variations " for piano and orchestra, here the very fine pianist Margaret Fingerhut with the LSO under Bryden Thomson, a 2004 Chandos cd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ismeUkG ... nk&index=5

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:20 am

Kavakos,Ma,and Ax play the "Archduke" live at 2023 Verbier.Should be available to re-hear in aabout 2-3 hours at BBC Radio 3:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001v4q5

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:55 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:20 am
Kavakos,Ma,and Ax play the "Archduke" live at 2023 Verbier.Should be available to re-hear in aabout 2-3 hours at BBC Radio 3:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001v4q5
ABSOLUTE WOW. Thanks for this!! I'm rushing to hear it immediately. The "Archduke" is amongst one of those desert island pieces, for me. (It's a big island!) But what's with the Verbier audiences? Those musicians would have realized after the clapping between movements of the Trio that they didn't have connoisseurs sitting in front of them. :mrgreen: I wonder how that would make me feel, as a top-ranking classical musician playing music that requires intellectual muscles?! It's more than 'pleasant' and 'nice'. So much more.

And Kantorow; another great new star in the firmament.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:04 pm

I listened to the Naxos Zádor CD due to the inclusion of "A Christmas Overture." I listened carefully to determine what made the work "Christmasy," but couldn't figure it out. I seemed to be entranced with the 1943 "Biblical Tryptych," which I thought most interesting. I probably will use "A Christmas Overture" on a Christmas program to include a "new" work for many, as it was to me. Thank you for recommending the disc. I'm glad I have it.
Febnyc wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:57 am
Lance wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:11 am
Excellent, Lance! I hope you find it worthwhile.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:03 am

Libor Pesek - Mahler cycle with the Czech PO.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:33 am

Lance wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:04 pm
I listened to the Naxos Zádor CD due to the inclusion of "A Christmas Overture." I listened carefully to determine what made the work "Christmasy," but couldn't figure it out. I seemed to be entranced with the 1943 "Biblical Tryptych," which I thought most interesting. I probably will use "A Christmas Overture" on a Christmas program to include a "new" work for many, as it was to me. Thank you for recommending the disc. I'm glad I have it.
Thanks, Lance, for the comments.

If you're so inclined, Naxos has issued a slew of CDs of his music. There are some interesting works - many Hungarian-inspired.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:51 pm

My first hearing of Prokofieff's brief ,10mins. , Four Pieces for Piano,Op.32, Frederick Chiu,pianist, the Waltz, the last of the set, a must-hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ng-O5YBWzY

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:33 pm

Lise de LaSalle plays the Gershwin "Rhapsody in Blue" live video in Paris recently,ORF under Deneve, been quite a while since I'd heard the work and this interesting pianist.I thought she got it pretty much right,although many concert pianists do not,especially across the pond:

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusiqu ... ue-8756028

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:23 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:51 pm
My first hearing of Prokofieff's brief ,10mins. , Four Pieces for Piano,Op.32, Frederick Chiu,pianist, the Waltz, the last of the set, a must-hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ng-O5YBWzY
Excellent. What a revolutionary the 'enfant terrible' was, and at such a young age too!!

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:37 pm

Over the past three weeks I've revisited Simon Rattle's Beethoven cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic from roughly 20 years ago. While Chalkperson might come out to box my ears, I find this one of the best cycles I've ever heard. These are live performances, generally fast and often extremely fast. The playing of the Vienna Philharmonic is outstanding throughout--they are with Rattle all the way. To me, every performance is a winner.

John

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:14 am

Hungerford's Beethoven Sonatas.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:50 am

I promised myself no more complete Beethoven Nine sets. So this one I don't have. But interesting to read what you say. There is always something special about live recorded performances. Once done, it's done, and maybe even to the surprise of the conductor himself! That's what makes me curious about this Nine. Happy you are enjoying it.
CharmNewton wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:37 pm
Over the past three weeks I've revisited Simon Rattle's Beethoven cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic from roughly 20 years ago. While Chalkperson might come out to box my ears, I find this one of the best cycles I've ever heard. These are live performances, generally fast and often extremely fast. The playing of the Vienna Philharmonic is outstanding throughout--they are with Rattle all the way. To me, every performance is a winner.

John
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:46 am

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:21 am

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:55 pm

Been way too long since I'd heard Poulenc's Organ Concerto, and was really amazed at it today. I must not have been listening carefully years ago. Found also I have no recording, which lack I'll rectify asap. I am not a fan of organ music in general, for example dont care for the Saint-Saens here, but the Poulenc is a masterpiece and significantly eclipses in impact Poulenc's popular Two- Piano Concerto for me, and seems one of the composer's greatest works even though brief:

Enregistré le 15 mars 2019, à la Philharmonie de Munich

Camille Saint-Saëns - Symphonie No. 3 en do mineur, op. 78, ¿Symphonie pour Orgue¿
Francis Poulenc - Concerto en sol mineur pour orgue et orchestre, FP 93

Iveta Apkalna, orgue L'Orchestre symphonique de la Radio bavaroise est dirigé par Mariss Jansons

https://auvio.rtbf.be/media/concert-con ... 3h-3146915 ( Poulenc starts at about 40:00 into the broadcast)

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:01 pm

Strauss: Ariadne auf Naxos. Solti/LPO Leontyne Price. 1979 Decca.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 pm

Pollini, at age 52, playing the Brahms PC # 1 live in 1994 at the Philharmonie in Berlin with the Berlin Phil. under Abbado, an inspired reading, the slow mov.perhaps a touch cool, but hot blooded otherwise :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001vcqs

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:10 am

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:21 am

A wonderful Brahms chamber recital this am on BBC Radio 3:

Violinist Andrew Wan, cellist Alisa Weilerstein and pianist Charles Richard-Hamelin play Brahms at the 2023 Lanaudière Festival.

Violin Sonata No. 2 in A, op. 100

Andrew Wan (violin), Charles Richard-Hamelin (piano)

Cello Sonata No. 1 in E minor, op. 38

Alisa Weilerstein (cello), Charles Richard-Hamelin (piano)

Piano Trio No. 1 in B, op. 8

Andrew Wan (violin), Alisa Weilerstein (cello), Charles Richard-Hamelin (piano)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001vcrg

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:15 pm

Excellent. I'll start listening right away, over breakfast.

I remember Hamelin is a finalist in a piano competition - probably the Chopin - a few years ago. He is yet another of Canada's hugely talented pianists!!

Speaking of talented pianists, there's a documentary floating about - a promotional one - about 'a day in the life' (so to say) of Yuja Wang. I could only get quarter of the way through it as I realized this musician has nothing much to say about the music, specifically. Unlike Igor Levit who has profound insights in conversation about Beethoven, Wang could only talk about herself.

I've rapidly lost interest in this musician. Sad to say, I think her playing has this same kind of superficiality too.