What I listened to today

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: What I listened to today

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:13 pm

Of Respighi's Roman triptych, "Festivals" ranks high for me. And the Gregoriano Violin Concerto, rather rare [Takako Nishizaki made a recording on Marco Polo]. Fine composer who seems to be heard more and more. Tonight, our own orchestra is giving a concert called "Roman Holidays," and the "Pines" will be a featured work.
Febnyc wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:31 pm
Those of us who like the music of Ottorino Respighi probably find ourselves listening to his popular and evergreen tone poems - Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome, Roman Festivals.

This CD shows a different side of the composer - with one orchestral work which is for smaller forces and more "intimate" subjects - and two violin concertos (although one is not officially titled as such). These really are wonderful examples of the other side of Respighi and the violinist makes some awfully beautiful sounds.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:19 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:13 pm
Of Respighi's Roman triptych, "Festivals" ranks high for me. And the Gregoriano Violin Concerto, rather rare [Takako Nishizaki made a recording on Marco Polo]. Fine composer who seems to be heard more and more. Tonight, our own orchestra is giving a concert called "Roman Holidays," and the "Pines" will be a featured work.
Febnyc wrote:
Those of us who like the music of Ottorino Respighi probably find ourselves listening to his popular and evergreen tone poems - Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome, Roman Festivals.

This CD shows a different side of the composer - with one orchestral work which is for smaller forces and more "intimate" subjects - and two violin concertos (although one is not officially titled as such). These really are wonderful examples of the other side of Respighi and the violinist makes some awfully beautiful sounds.

Thanks for these.I am also a fan of Respighi's Violin Sonata, have the Heifetz recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXcTTP ... 641605F18F

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:01 pm

If you're a fan of chamber music, you should not miss this CD.

Napoleon Henri Reber (1807-1880) is described in the notes as more or less a holdover from the 18th Century. These three piano trios sound to me like updated versions of Haydn or Mozart, but with a bit more "oomph." They are beautifully balanced and have singing melodies and brilliant piano parts.

(PS - the even-numbered trios [2,4,6] also have been committed to disc but I cannot find a reasonably-priced copy.)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:43 pm

I've had those two Reber discs on Timpani [1205 & 1239] since 2013 and 2016 respectively, but were reasonably priced per disc (less than $18/USD each), and this is just the kind of repertoire I enjoy discovering. Trio Elegiaque does an admirable job with the trios. I can make a copy of Trios 2, 4 and 6 if you cannot find it elsewhere. Are those discs unavailable now?
Febnyc wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:01 pm

Napoleon Henri Reber (1807-1880) is described in the notes as more or less a holdover from the 18th Century. These three piano trios sound to me like updated versions of Haydn or Mozart, but with a bit more "oomph." They are beautifully balanced and have singing melodies and brilliant piano parts.

(PS - the even-numbered trios [2,4,6] also have been committed to disc but I cannot find a reasonably-priced copy.)

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:32 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:43 pm
I've had those two Reber discs on Timpani [1205 & 1239] since 2013 and 2016 respectively, but were reasonably priced per disc (less than $18/USD each), and this is just the kind of repertoire I enjoy discovering. Trio Elegiaque does an admirable job with the trios. I can make a copy of Trios 2, 4 and 6 if you cannot find it elsewhere. Are those discs unavailable now?
Thank you, Lance. Offer appreciated, but I've found one on Amazon. Just needed to put in the right search terms.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:47 am

Febnyc wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:01 pm

Thanks for this , my first hearing of Reber. As you say,balanced,tuneful,sprightly. I heard Nos.2 and 7. The Timpani cds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1kHuud ... X&index=23

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am

Febnyc wrote:

This CD shows a different side of the composer - with one orchestral work which is for smaller forces and more "intimate" subjects - and two violin concertos (although one is not officially titled as such).
Fww, no less than Frank Peter Zimmermann played the Respighi "Gregorian" Concerto with NDR Symphony in Hamburg this past March, the live broadcast to be again available at Radio Belgium this Friday,April 12 at 2000 Brussels time. I plan to listen:

https://www.rtbf.be/musiq3/grille-programme (Scroll right to April 12 )

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am
Fww, no less than Frank Peter Zimmermann played the Respighi "Gregorian" Concerto with NDR Symphony in Hamburg this past March, the live broadcast to be again available at Radio Belgium this Friday,April 12 at 2000 Brussels time. I plan to listen:

Thanks for that. I wonder how often this piece is played in concert?

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:38 pm

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:39 pm

A pity this was not recorded by EMI and included in the big Warner/Zimmermann set [63178]. It would have fit in very nicely! Zimmermann is recording now, I think with BIS, so we'll see if it comes out if it already hasn't.
Rach3 wrote:
Febnyc wrote:

This CD shows a different side of the composer - with one orchestral work which is for smaller forces and more "intimate" subjects - and two violin concertos (although one is not officially titled as such).

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:28 am

I'm not much attracted to CDs which are compendia of music of different composers. However, I listen to this one pretty regularly. So, for a Wondrous Wednesday it filled the bill.

The concertos all are different - some sounding more "Eastern" than others; some with tinges of Romanticism; some include phrases from the Azerbaijani mugam (described as "a centuries-old improvisatory form of art-music"). One is especially engaging and cinematic, and builds to a marvelous peak in its second half: "The Sea" by Farhad Badalbeyli. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPs8Df9G-Zk.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Szymanowski, Violin Concerto #2, Szerying, Bamberg Symphony, Krenz. I prefer this one to the composer's First Violin Concerto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBWpxZizM4A

This town in Germany has a population of circa 78,000 and has its own (renowned) symphony orchestra which attracts important soloists. I've been there and seen musicians coming and going with their musical instruments.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 am

Febnyc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:28 am
I'm not much attracted to CDs which are compendia of music of different composers. However, I listen to this one pretty regularly. So, for a Wondrous Wednesday it filled the bill.

The concertos all are different - some sounding more "Eastern" than others; some with tinges of Romanticism; some include phrases from the Azerbaijani mugam (described as "a centuries-old improvisatory form of art-music").

Many thanks for this.Very enjoyable, especially the 2 full-length concertos, and of those 2 especially the Adigezalov. Am on my second listening of the cd as I type this.May search for the cd or download, although seem all prices are getting out of hand even for used.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:40 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 am
Many thanks for this.Very enjoyable, especially the 2 full-length concertos, and of those 2 especially the Adigezalov. Am on my second listening of the cd as I type this.May search for the cd or download, although seem all prices are getting out of hand even for used.
I'm glad this appealed to you. Amazon lists a few used at more or less affordable prices - although I do agree that CD costs often are ridiculous these days.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:08 pm

Yes, I note prices are escalating on pre-owned products. Things will get worse when postal rates will soon change as I see they are about to, again. I've had a few used CDs where the postage was more than the cost of the CD. It's far worse when it comes from overseas. Well, remember, we are "enjoying" inflationary times. Everyone has their hand out nowadays. You know, I haven't raised my price for a piano tuning in probably four years. I am doing my part to keep things more "normal." However, I am thinking of an increase. So, IF I get $2,000 a tuning, should I complain? (No, that is not the price I assess - and I try to keep it a secret.)
Febnyc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:40 am
Rach3 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 am
I'm glad this appealed to you. Amazon lists a few used at more or less affordable prices - although I do agree that CD costs often are ridiculous these days.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:50 am

The wonderful violinist Lelia Josefowicz playing the great Bartok VC # 2 live with the Iceland Phil. in November,2023:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001xwl5

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:20 pm

Vittorio Giannini (1903-1966) was born in Philadelphia and, according to his biography, was best known as a teacher - at Juilliard, Curtis and Manhattan School of Music.

His Piano Concerto is a grand evocation of the type. The amazing thing is that, after its première in 1937 (Rosalyn Tureck was the soloist) it appears that the work never was again performed - until, that is, this Naxos recording by the Romanian pianist, Gabriela Imreh.

It's just over 40 minutes long and contains echoes of Rachmaninoff and Dohnányi. I think it is mandatory listening for anyone moved by this sort of approach. Why it does not get any notice is one of the cosmic questions to be answered.

Giannini's Symphony No. 4 also is terrific. Solidly neo-romantic, but having touches of modernism and with a heart-on-the-sleeve sound. Again - only a single catalogued performance - in 1960 by the Juilliard Orchestra, under Jean Morel.

Not to be missed.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:33 pm

Rach3 wrote:

Here now at 11:30 in: https://auvio.rtbf.be/media/concert-con ... 0h-3181148

Pleasant, but a one-hear for me.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:17 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:20 pm
Vittorio Giannini (1903-1966) was born in Philadelphia and, according to his biography, was best known as a teacher - at Juilliard, Curtis and Manhattan School of Music.
Heard today, many thanks,my first hearings. I'm a pianophile, but actually liked the Symphony better of the two , but the PC is a hoot.

Entire cd here to hear : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H795uzr ... FC&index=1

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:20 pm

Bernard Hermann's "The Planets" I do not own. How does his compare with so many others? Ones I have including Karajan [2] (I thought excellent), Bernstein, Stokowski, various ones with Boult, one conducted by Holst, Levine, Mehta, C. Davis, Steinberg, Sargent, Maazel, Ormandy, Barbirolli (live excerpts). Given the one you show is on London Phase 4 - usually dynamic recordings. What say about Hermann, or do I have enough now? It seems like every conductor of note has recorded the work - except Szell, unless I don't remember correctly.
jserraglio wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:38 pm
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:57 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:00 pm
Febnyc wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:47 pm
Anyway - my favorite Fifth is Jochum with the Concertgebouw (on Philips label).
I should get a medal for hearing two Bruckner symphonies in one day, let alone the same one, but I agree the Jochum /RCO is great, if this 1964 from YT is your fav:

2nd medal :Today, my first hearings probably of Bruckner's 8th, a live 1996 with the VPO led by Pierre Boulez, and of the 3rd , Jochum's 1967 studio of with the Bavarian Radio Sym. A few fine moments, but I sympathize with the observation Bruckner wrote the same symphony 9 times. For me, it will be hearings of No.5 annually , less frequently No.7, only.I have heard now Nos.3-9, but not 0,1,2 , and absent a strong recommendation here to hear any of those three will probably now cease my Brucknerthon.

DSzymborski

Post by DSzymborski » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 pm

I finally listened to Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum in a single go for the first time (the Geoffrey Madge recording on BIS). Interesting to me in fragments, I still don't understand the piece as a whole, and I suspect at this point I never will.
--
Dan Szymborski
DSzymborski@gmail.com

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 pm

DSzymborski wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 pm
I finally listened to Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum in a single go for the first time (the Geoffrey Madge recording on BIS). Interesting to me in fragments, I still don't understand the piece as a whole, and I suspect at this point I never will.

You might wish to hear John Ogdon’s recording. See the Reviews here comparing Madge to Ogdon. I’ve only heard two or three excerpts from the work. If I recall, the Madge recording of Godowsky’s Piano Sonata is about twice the length of Hamelin’s recording.

https://www.amazon.com/Sorabji-Opus-Cla ... B000003IYD

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:50 pm

Well, join the Opus Clavicembalisticum Club! I first got to "know" this work with British pianist John Ogdon's 4-CD recording on the Altarus label [9075] (purchased in Collegetown, Ithaca, New York - I shan't ever forget). I have always been fascinated with Ogdon's playing - and was expecting something in his normal range of rather unknown or strange repertoire, but not this strange. I paid a good price for the set - and was, of course, disappointed that it didn't do much for me, even listening to it fragmentally. To quote Wikipedia's first paragraph: "Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji (born Leon Dudley Sorabji; 14 August 1892 – 15 October 1988) was an English composer, music critic, pianist and writer whose music, written over a period of seventy years, ranges from sets of miniatures to works lasting several hours." I have an appreciation for Geoffrey Madge as a pianist, but refrained from investing further in the Opus Clavicembalisticum. [That's a hard one to type without checking it twice!] I cannot recall for sure, but it strikes me that John Ogdon may have been "tutored" in the presentation of the piece by Sorabji. We have some wonderful members here who have a penchant for this kind of repertoire - I hope we can learn something about the work.
DSzymborski wrote:
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:10 am

DSzymborski wrote:
Dan, it is good to see your post in CMG. It's been a very long time and I remember your love for the unfamiliar repertory of Hummel and some of the early Romantic composers. I hope all has been well for you over the past 25 years or so.

I can't add anything about this work as I haven't heard it, but do remember it being much discussed with lengthy reviews in Fanfare Magazine back in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I see there is a brand new recording of it by Daan Vandewalle on Spotify and will give it a try--at least a start.

John

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:51 am

Lubov Timofeyeva plays Haydn Complete Piano Sonatas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=3yCFP79P7Gg

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:13 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:20 pm
Bernard Hermann's "The Planets" I do not own. How does his compare with so many others? Ones I have including Karajan [2] (I thought excellent), Bernstein, Stokowski, various ones with Boult, one conducted by Holst, Levine, Mehta, C. Davis, Steinberg, Sargent, Maazel, Ormandy, Barbirolli (live excerpts). Given the one you show is on London Phase 4 - usually dynamic recordings. What say about Hermann, or do I have enough now? It seems like every conductor of note has recorded the work - except Szell, unless I don't remember correctly.
jserraglio wrote:
Bernard Hermann's "Planets" was first issued in the mid to late 1960's on London's Phase 4 label here in the USA, as well as on reel tapes, both of which I acquired as a lad. Unfortunately as time went by I realized that Hermann could not live up to the demands of the score. His conducting simply can't hold the orchestra together, and tempos are quite lugubrious. Jupiter, the most demanding of the cycle, simply falls apart. Not my ideal recording at all! I much prefer Sir Adrian or Steinberg/Boston, just to name two. Perhaps more rehearsal time would have been in order. Music on a budget is hardly the way to go.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:08 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 pm
If I recall, the Madge recording of Godowsky’s Piano Sonata is about twice the length of Hamelin’s.
Well, not quite.But, a considerable difference.

Fww, Hamelin takes about 48 minutes, Madge about 65.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:47 pm

I have some CD recordings by Timofeyeva on Melodiya playing Mozart, Bartok, and Schumann. Interesting that complete Haydn sonatas would come into the fold. How does hers compare to a complete set by Buchbinder, or those delivered by Richter, Hamelin, Gould, Ax, Brendel, Olbertz, or any of the pianists who have recorded more than a handful of Haydn's piano sonatas? Funny about Haydn - love his entire output dearly. When I'm not sure what I want to listen to sometimes, Haydn fills the bill perfectly!
jserraglio wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:51 am
Lubov Timofeyeva plays Haydn Complete Piano Sonatas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=3yCFP79P7Gg
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:43 am

Dvorak, Stabat Mater, Chamber Orchestra of Europe/Schoenberg Choir/Harnoncourt. This was recorded in 2012, just less than 4 years before Harnoncourt's death. You can already see the symptoms of advanced Graves Disease (badly bulging eyes). The poor man was valiant to the end.

I'm not usually fond of large forces and choirs, but since this was amongst the last concerts of Harnoncourt I'm making an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1m4a0c6VUU

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:32 am

In a word: Delightful.

Ekaterina Derzhavina plays Haydn Variations, Pieces for Piano 2019 Profil

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ADUhG6vIDQg

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am

Mikko Franck & the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France - Sibelius Symphony Cycle,
plus the Violin Concerto with Hilary Hahn, live in Paris during the week beginning April 8, 2024.

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusiqu ... ck-7545787

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusiqu ... hn-8047519

https://www.radiofrance.fr/francemusiqu ... ue-3843957

diegobueno
Winds Specialist

Post by diegobueno » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:40 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:28 am
I've always had an interest in the music of Fikret Amirov.

When I was little I somehow had in the home a recording of an Amirov piece called "Kyurdi Ovshary" (the record gave the title as "Caucasian Dances") and I used to listen to it all the time. I thought it had a kind of Arabian Nights flavor to it and I found it fascinating.

Elsewhere, I've posted links to my Caucasus Sonata for piano. This piece by Amirov was the inspiration for the last movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U--x7t7pV0
Black lives matter.

diegobueno
Winds Specialist

Post by diegobueno » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:39 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:50 pm
Well, join the Opus Clavicembalisticum Club! I first got to "know" this work with British pianist John Ogdon's 4-CD recording on the Altarus label [9075] (purchased in Collegetown, Ithaca, New York - I shan't ever forget).
Lance, you're making me nostalgic! I disposed of so much of my income in those stores -- Discount Records, Bach to Rock Records. I'd just be walking home along College Ave. every day, and, well I couldn't just pass them by. I bought my first CDs there in 1986 (Bach violin concertos with Jaap Schorder and Christopher Hogwood; John Adams, Harmonielehre with Edo de Waart).
Black lives matter.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Guilty pleasures of mine.Sound not the best on these , but listenable.

Sergei Bortkiewicz’ Piano Concerto No.2 for Left Hand , Op.28, live video,Academic Symphony Orchestra "Philharmonia" Chernigiv,Ukraine (date ?)
Nadejda Vlaeva - piano
Mykola Sukach-conductor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfgQhoMDdYY (In “Settings” for the video set Quality up tp 360p)

——————

Gary Graffman plays the Prokofieff Piano Concerto No.4 for Left Hand, live video,Moscow,1990, Moscow Virtuosi under Vladimir Spivakov :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YmYeBTRQJE

———————————

Sergei Bortkiewicz’ Piano Concerto No.3 (for both hands), live video,National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine
PAVLO GINTOV - piano
VICTORIA ZHAD'KO - сonductor
Kyiv,Ukraine/March 13, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7zZLAqiaW4

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:38 pm

Mark, I thought you'd catch that about Ithaca! Yes, me too ... dropped a bundle in all those stores over the years. It was great fun shopping in Collegetown. Wonderful memories for sure.
diegobueno wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:39 am
Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:50 pm
Well, join the Opus Clavicembalisticum Club! I first got to "know" this work with British pianist John Ogdon's 4-CD recording on the Altarus label [9075] (purchased in Collegetown, Ithaca, New York - I shan't ever forget).
Lance, you're making me nostalgic! I disposed of so much of my income in those stores -- Discount Records, Bach to Rock Records. I'd just be walking home along College Ave. every day, and, well I couldn't just pass them by. I bought my first CDs there in 1986 (Bach violin concertos with Jaap Schorder and Christopher Hogwood; John Adams, Harmonielehre with Edo de Waart).
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

DSzymborski

Post by DSzymborski » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:36 am

CharmNewton wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:10 am
DSzymborski wrote:
Dan, it is good to see your post in CMG. It's been a very long time and I remember your love for the unfamiliar repertory of Hummel and some of the early Romantic composers. I hope all has been well for you over the past 25 years or so.

I can't add anything about this work as I haven't heard it, but do remember it being much discussed with lengthy reviews in Fanfare Magazine back in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I see there is a brand new recording of it by Daan Vandewalle on Spotify and will give it a try--at least a start.

John
Yup, I still have a knack for championing lesser-known late classical/early romantics. At this point, I've played most of Hummel's piano works -- with mixed competence -- but arthritis in the hands and wrist has sapped some of my limited competence. I've always lurked, but I've been a really lazy poster for, oh, 20 years or so!
--
Dan Szymborski
DSzymborski@gmail.com

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 am

Thanks for reminding me about that Giannini recording; I've had that since 2009 but haven't given it a hearing for some time. I have a number of recordings on the Arabesque label with Gabriela Imreh, Bach, Liszt, transcriptions, and another Naxos disc of music by Howard Hanson, the latter of whom I hear on occasion. I haven't seen much by Imreh of late. Wonder what happened to her. Fine pianist.

Hmm ... I just checked her out; her is some info on her, born in Transylvania, Romania and now lives in New Jersey with her husband, Spalding, who conducts the Giannini on Naxos.
Copied from her site:
Born in Tirgu Mures, Romania, Gabriela Imreh received her Artist Diploma in performance and pedagogy Summa cum laude from the “George Dima” Academy of music. As she was finishing her studies she met young American conductor Daniel Spalding who was touring Romania and so started the most romantic of love stories that seemed meant for the large screen. Set against the background of the darkest days of Ceausescu’s last years of ruthless dictatorship, the couple’s plea to get permission to marry was brought to the attention of American politicians and diplomats who eventually intervened. After many months of harassment from the Romanian Secret Service, (the Securitate), having all her concerts canceled and being segregated into isolation, Gabriela eventually received her permission to marry. Most likely this was ultimately triggered by a visit to Romania by Secretary of State George Schultz who successfully negotiated with Ceausescu on behalf of the couple and contributed to Gabriela’s consequent immigration to the Unites States. The couple resides near Princeton, New Jersey, navigate through complicated schedules and strenuous travels, but find solace in returning to their home, dog and 3 cats. Gabriela became an American Citizen in 1992.
Febnyc wrote:

His Piano Concerto is a grand evocation of the type. The amazing thing is that, after its première in 1937 (Rosalyn Tureck was the soloist) it appears that the work never was again performed - until, that is, this Naxos recording by the Romanian pianist, Gabriela Imreh.

It's just over 40 minutes long and contains echoes of Rachmaninoff and Dohnányi. I think it is mandatory listening for anyone moved by this sort of approach. Why it does not get any notice is one of the cosmic questions to be answered.

Giannini's Symphony No. 4 also is terrific. Solidly neo-romantic, but having touches of modernism and with a heart-on-the-sleeve sound. Again - only a single catalogued performance - in 1960 by the Juilliard Orchestra, under Jean Morel.

Not to be missed.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:13 pm

Some great live and all very recent concerts this past couple days on Dutch Radio 4 and Radio Belgium . On Radio 4, Pletnev playing Rach 3, Viotti conducting Mahler 9 ( Viotti presumably dressed), Weesp Chamber Festival with Dvorak’s “American” Quartet and Korngold’s Suite for Piano Left Hand,Two Violins and Cello,Op.23, Mahler’s “ Songs of the Wayfarer” with one Catriona Morison, mezzo, Mendelssohn VC with Johan Darlene, Bruckner 7th with Saraste, and Janine Jensen playing Bach violin concertos. On Radio Belgium Vilde Frang playing the Shostakovich VC # 1, and Benjamin Grosvenor playing the Busoni PC (!) with Ticciati. Take your picks !

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten

https://auvio.rtbf.be/emission/concert-2011

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm

A recent live performance of Mozart's PC #20,K.466, effectively scored for piano and string quintet ( arranged by Mozart or whom not identified ), and the quartet also plays Beethoven's great Op.95 String Quartet, for me possibly his most effective quartet , would be great to hear a paired performance of Op.95 followed by Op.135.Nino Gvetadze, pianist, Ruysdael Quartet in Holland April 17:

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/e6be ... ze-friends

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:13 am
Lance wrote:
jserraglio wrote:
Bernard Hermann's "Planets" was first issued in the mid to late 1960's on London's Phase 4 label here in the USA, as well as on reel tapes, both of which I acquired as a lad. Unfortunately as time went by I realized that Hermann could not live up to the demands of the score. His conducting simply can't hold the orchestra together, and tempos are quite lugubrious. Jupiter, the most demanding of the cycle, simply falls apart. Not my ideal recording at all! I much prefer Sir Adrian or Steinberg/Boston, just to name two. Perhaps more rehearsal time would have been in order. Music on a budget is hardly the way to go.
A SURVEY OF ALL AVAILABLE CDS OF GUSTAV HOLST'S THE PLANETS, OP. 32 https://petersplanets.wordpress.com

Peter didn’t like Herrmann’s either.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:04 am

Martha Argerich and Evgeni Bozhanov play the Poulenc Concerto for Two Pianos, live video,Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra , conductor Naiden Todorov , March 25,2021, in Sofia I suspect. One of my fav PC’s and Bozhanov a pianist I've followed since 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmbDM7GKA30

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:12 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:37 am
maestrob wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:13 am
Lance wrote:
jserraglio wrote:
A SURVEY OF ALL AVAILABLE CDS OF GUSTAV HOLST'S THE PLANETS, OP. 32 https://petersplanets.wordpress.com

Peter didn’t like Herrmann’s either.
Most edifying, Joe. Thanks!

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:16 am

I am a huge Herrmann fan nonetheless.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:36 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 am
Thanks for reminding me about that Giannini recording; I've had that since 2009 but haven't given it a hearing for some time. I have a number of recordings on the Arabesque label with Gabriela Imreh, Bach, Liszt, transcriptions, and another Naxos disc of music by Howard Hanson, the latter of whom I hear on occasion. I haven't seen much by Imreh of late. Wonder what happened to her. Fine pianist.

Hmm ... I just checked her out; here is some info on her, born in Transylvania, Romania and now lives in New Jersey with her husband, Spalding, who conducts the Giannini on Naxos.
Copied from her site:
Born in Tirgu Mures, Romania, Gabriela Imreh received her Artist Diploma in performance and pedagogy Summa cum laude from the “George Dima” Academy of music. As she was finishing her studies she met young American conductor Daniel Spalding who was touring Romania and so started the most romantic of love stories that seemed meant for the large screen. Set against the background of the darkest days of Ceausescu’s last years of ruthless dictatorship, the couple’s plea to get permission to marry was brought to the attention of American politicians and diplomats who eventually intervened. After many months of harassment from the Romanian Secret Service, (the Securitate), having all her concerts canceled and being segregated into isolation, Gabriela eventually received her permission to marry. Most likely this was ultimately triggered by a visit to Romania by Secretary of State George Schultz who successfully negotiated with Ceausescu on behalf of the couple and contributed to Gabriela’s consequent immigration to the Unites States. The couple resides near Princeton, New Jersey, navigate through complicated schedules and strenuous travels, but find solace in returning to their home, dog and 3 cats. Gabriela became an American Citizen in 1992.
Febnyc wrote:

Not to be missed.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:19 am

Carolus Antonius Fodor (1768-1846) - Simphonie à grand orchestre (c.1805)
NetherIands Radio Chamber Orchestra; Anthony Hаlsstеаd (conductor)

Interesting throughout, pleasant, if a one-hear.Reminiscent of late Mozart with a touch of early Beethoven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSGvkFJHLjM (Audio only)

Per YT poster: “ Dutch composer and pianist, brother of Josephus Andreas Fodor (1751-1828) and Carel Emanuel Fodor (1759-?). Born into a musical family, he studied in Mannheim and Paris before returning to Amsterdam in 1795. In 1798 he married Geertruida Tersteeg. At the death of Bartholomeus Ruloffs in 1801 he was named conductor of the orchestra of Felix Meritis, which he was to lead for twenty-five years. In the following year he was nominated to the position of the orchestra Eruditio Musica. In 1808 Louis Bonaparte appointed him to head the Instituut voor Wetenschappen, Literatuur en Schone Kunsten, precursor of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Academie van Wetenschappen, the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 1811 he established, with Johann Wilhelm Wilms and some others the series of Tuesday concerts. He became one of the leaders of Dutch musical society, writing works that reflect early 19th century Romantic forms. His music includes several symphonies, eight concertos for fortepiano, an opera, numerous songs in Dutch and a large number of chamber works.”

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:22 pm

Haydn Piano Sonata in E Minor, XV1:34 Backhaus, 1959. It's one of my favourite piano sonatas, period. I have Ronald Brautigam playing this on the fortepiano too, and it's equally wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szgfS9P_MoA&t=45s

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:35 pm

Sheku Kanneh - Mason playing Weinberg's great Cello Concerto with Andrew Manze and the Royal Liverpool in Liverpool April 4 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001y9vc

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:51 am

A wonderfully fresh, enthusiastic, virtuosic live reading of Prokofieff's mighty 5th Symphony by Britain's National Youth Orchestra April 14, 2024 in London. Good to see CM in such good young hands:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y97c

A day earlier on BBCR3 is a live March 2,2024 performance of Shostakovich's 5th SYmphony, by the BBC Phil, in Manchester, the work written about same time as Prokofieff's, both " war" symphonies.Great chance to compare the works.Impressive as the DSCH is, the Prokofieff stands apart for me, perhaps less Stalin-pressured than the DSCH:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y9cs

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:24 pm

Ronald Brautigam playing 4 Impromptus by Schubert, D899, on his replica fortepiano. Wonderful, authoritative and muscular playing. I just adore that strong modulation in Impromptu #2 in E Flat Major. And Brautigam is sight playing these too; very adept with that page-turning, I must say!

Another gorgeous, talented Dutchman!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ZG9D5BROU&t=548s