Andor Foldes, pianist - and a great book by his wife!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Andor Foldes, pianist - and a great book by his wife!

Post by Lance » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Since I can remember from the LP days, I always admired the Hungarian pianist ANDOR FOLDES. He recorded for EMI, DGG, a 45-rpm for Mercury Records, and APR (Appian) has brought out some of his earliest recordings. Lately there have been releases on the Australian Eloquence label who issues older DGG and Decca recordings and prove to be quite a value.

However, I recently acquired a book entitled Two on a Continent by Lili Foldes, Andor's wife, published in 1947 by E. P. Dutton & Company, Inc., New York, NY in 1947. It is a well-written book about their time in the USA prior to- and during World War II. In reading the book and almost seeing her description of the streets and places they went, I could only wish that America could once again be like it was at that time. How times have changed!

Anyway, this was a very interesting read. The Foldes made Switzerland their home after due time where concerts were more plentiful throughout Europe in the early 1950s. But their love of America is quite obvious and appreciative throughout this book.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]