Famous musicians photographed together

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Famous musicians photographed together

Post by Belle » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:25 pm

This makes for interesting viewing, though the pictures of Carlos Kleiber and von Karajan don't seem to be included:

http://vagnethierry.fr/en/conductors-me ... ach-other/

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Famous musicians photographed together

Post by Lance » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:22 pm

What a wonderful collection of photos! It is so sentimental to look at these pictures from parties and gatherings and can almost hear the conversations. This is a great contribution to the CMG posts! THANK YOU!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:52 am

Having gone through a couple of dozen, it is a little annoying that they only nametwo people when there are three in the photo, eg Bakala and Chalabala and anonymous, and I have no idea who is who. When one is Bernstein or Barenboim or Stravinsky, different matter of course.
But I second Lance's gratitude for an amazing collection.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:40 pm

The first festival at Lucerne was in 1938, not 1937. Ernest Ansermet helped to organize the festival orchestra along with Adolf Busch, who was its concertmaster, and Toscanini conducted the first concert in an open air shell in the park next to Villa Tribschen, Wagner's home. That's where the photo was taken.
John Francis

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:01 am

barney wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:52 am
Having gone through a couple of dozen, it is a little annoying that they only nametwo people when there are three in the photo, eg Bakala and Chalabala and anonymous, and I have no idea who is who. When one is Bernstein or Barenboim or Stravinsky, different matter of course.
But I second Lance's gratitude for an amazing collection.
Agreed, for example when they name "Menuhin - Fischer-Dieskau - Rostropovitch - Bernstein (only really showing his back)" why did they not mention Horowitz and Stern?