Replacements Named for Met Opera’s ‘Tosca’

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Replacements Named for Met Opera’s ‘Tosca’

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 am

James Levine’s Replacements Named for Met Opera’s ‘Tosca’

By ZACHARY WOOLFE DEC. 5, 2017

The Metropolitan Opera on Tuesday named replacements for James Levine, its suspended music director emeritus, on the podium for a highly anticipated new production of Puccini’s “Tosca” set to open with a gala on New Year’s Eve.

With Mr. Levine removed from his upcoming performances as the Met investigates accusations of sexual abuse, the company said that Emmanuel Villaume would replace him on Dec. 31 and for six performances in January. Bertrand de Billy will conduct six further performances in April and May. Gareth Morrell will conduct on Jan. 18; the Met has not yet named a conductor for the Jan. 15 performance.

The “Tosca” cast has undergone major changes even before Mr. Levine’s suspension. He had been scheduled to lead it as a replacement for Andris Nelsons, who dropped out in July after Mr. Nelsons’s wife, the soprano Kristine Opolais, withdrew from the title role. The tenor Jonas Kaufmann, set to star alongside her as Cavaradossi, had already canceled in March.

The two singers were replaced by Sonya Yoncheva and Vittorio Grigolo for the opening and January performances. As originally scheduled, Anna Netrebko and Marcelo Álvarez follow in April and May, and Bryn Terfel, Michael Volle and Zeljko Lucic share the role of the villain Scarpia.

Mr. Villaume, the music director of the Dallas Opera, recently completed a successful run of Massenet’s “Thaïs” at the Met. He made his company debut in 2004 with Puccini’s “Madama Butterfly” but, like Mr. de Billy, has been best known in New York in French repertory.

The Met has not yet named conductors for the revivals of Verdi’s “Il Trovatore” and “Luisa Miller” that Mr. Levine was also scheduled to lead in the coming months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/arts ... ction&_r=0

maestrob

Re: Replacements Named for Met Opera’s ‘Tosca’

Post by maestrob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm

I wonder if Yoncheva is ready for Tosca. Even as Mimi, her voice seemed small to me in the telecast, and Tosca's Act II is a killer. Gelb has been pushing her forward........

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm
I wonder if Yoncheva is ready for Tosca.
Brian I sure hope so-we see it Jan 9. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 pm
maestrob wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm
I wonder if Yoncheva is ready for Tosca.
Brian I sure hope so-we see it Jan 9. Regards, Len
Looking forward to your review....... :D