Sibelius Piano Music by Leif Ove Andsnes on Sony

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Sibelius Piano Music by Leif Ove Andsnes on Sony

Post by Lance » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:40 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY355_.jpg
Sony Classical 40805

We don't find too many really well-known pianists performing the music of Jean Sibelius, but that great master wrote quite a bit of music he, himself, didn't praise highly. Nonetheless, some of it is very good. One wonders if Sibelius was such a good pianist that he might play this music himself. Probably not as good as rendered here by leif Ove Andsnes, who is one of the top-ranking pianists today who has recorded prolifically for EMI/Warner and Virgin, and more recently for Sony (Beethoven concerto project). Now comes the Sibelius, whom Andsnes has taken to heart in wanting to bring this music more in front of the public. As the inlay states, by Andsnes: "Everyone was astonished that there could be a major composer out there with such beautiful, accessible music that people don't know. These are intriguing works with the wonderful Sibelius qualities we know. I really believe in this music and I want people to hear it."

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this CD, though Sibelius's complete piano music has been issued previously on the BIS label with excellent pianists. Other labels sporadically include some of the piano pieces by Sibelius. Apparently Andsnes has looked over all this repertoire and has selected 24 tracks of music that appealed to him. The sound is very natural, not terribly closely miked, and the choice of piano (no doubt a German Steinway) transmits the music beautifully in a wide range of repertoire showing the many facets of Sibelius' piano-writing abilities. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Re: Sibelius Piano Music by Leif Ove Andsnes on Sony

Post by Belle » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I've seen this fine pianist performing at the Musikverein in Vienna and he's assured, composed and thoughtful. Thanks for the information on his new Sibelius offering.