Mark Viner's CD "Alkan 12 Etudes, Op. 35" incredible!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Mark Viner's CD "Alkan 12 Etudes, Op. 35" incredible!

Post by Lance » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
Piano Classics 10127, 68:27

Nineteen century piano music truly exploded with music composed by Charles-Valentin Alkan (1813-1888). Commencing with Busoni, who performed this incredibly difficult music (but alas, never recorded it), beginning with Egon Petri (who made a private recording), Alkan's music began to be launched slowly. Not surprisingly, few pianists could negotiate it. Then along came Raymond Lewenthal, Ronald Smith, and John Ogdon who brought Alkan's music back to life on discs and on the concert platform. Many others have followed: Olli Mustonen, Jack Gibbons, Alan Weiss, Stephanie McCallum, Pierre Reach, Bernard Ringeissen, Marc-André Hamlin, and a long list of others. Ronald Smith of England probably made the most recordings of Alkan's piano music.

AND THEN, we are recently hit with a new recording of Alkan's 12 Etudes in the Major Keys, Op. 35 with a brilliant British pianist, MARK VINER, who is sure to set the world on fire with his take on Alkan. It is extraordinary playing, beautifully performed and recorded on a gorgeous piano (probably a German Steinway). At age 26 or so, Viner is a keyboard marvel. It is not just about incredible technique, which is in abundance, but his conception of this music and understanding of this neglected composer. Remember, Thalberg may be recalled as Franz Liszt's greatest rival, but it was Alkan, himself an incredible virtuoso pianist, whom Liszt feared more. The two were friends, as they were with Chopin and other greats of that time.

If you are going to make the purchase of one recording before the year is concluded, make it this one! If I were giving awards, Mark Viner's Alkan Piano Classics CD would be my choice for the entire year. Writing this, I am still in awe of what I have just heard.

Incidentally, Viner has also recorded the music of Liszt and Thalberg on the Piano Classics label, and appears in a three-CD set on the Brilliant label with other pianists included.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Mark Viner's CD "Alkan 12 Etudes, Op. 35" incredible!

Post by maestrob » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks, Lance! The only recording I have of Alkan's music is a two CD set by Ronald Smith. I'll check out this new release on your recommendation.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Mark Viner's CD "Alkan 12 Etudes, Op. 35" incredible!

Post by Lance » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Yes - you will love this, Brian. And while you are at it, try to get Raymond Lewenthal's RCA recording that was reissued some time ago in their "High Performance" series. I see it is on Amazon for around $10 - but I have seen much higher prices as I do not think it is any longer in the catalogue. Lewenthal's recording generated a high interest in Alkan's music back in the mid-1960s if memory serves, and through a televised program on Alkan.
maestrob wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 pm
Thanks, Lance! The only recording I have of Alkan's music is a two CD set by Ronald Smith. I'll check out this new release on your recommendation.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]