Samson Agrippina News I Missed

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Post Reply
lennygoran
Posts: 13113
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Samson Agrippina News I Missed

Post by lennygoran » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:06 am

I missed this news but maybe it was mentioned here and I just forgot about it? Regards, Len

PS-I'm only quoting the parts that most interested me.


"Gelb said he also canceled a planned 2018-19 modern-dress production of Camille Saint-Saens' "Samson et Dalila" by Italian director Damiano Michieletto, which opened in Paris last fall, and replaced it with a new staging by Darko Tresniak of Hartford Stage. Michieletto had Samson cut off his own hair and Dalila destroy the temple.

"Michieletto is a very talented director, however, this production of 'Samson' just didn't click with the Parisian public," Gelb said.

Gelb also said the Met is considering a new future production of Verdi's "Don Carlos" in the original French, which the company has never presented.

McVicar said he will return to the Met in a future season for the company premiere of Handel's "Agrippina" starring DiDonato. He thinks baroque works can be presented successfully at the Met despite its 4,000-person capacity.

"The Metropolitan Opera is basically too large a house for most opera. That's a fact," he said. "We all appreciate that. It's a product of its time of the '60s and a sort of very American sense of what opera should be and the kind of place which opera should be presented."

https://www.usnews.com/news/new-york/ar ... istic-sets

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26233
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Samson Agrippina News I Missed

Post by jbuck919 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 am

Agrippina? That's why we had something called the City Opera, even though what was then called the New York State Theater was already too big for something like that. (Apologies to the ghost of Julius Rudel.) Years ago, when I was still living there, Baltimore closed its small and cramped opera house, which would actually have been perfect for something like a Handel opera. Still, they could not have made any money on it. Several years ago when I saw Die Walküre at the Met I had an additional ticket to Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice the next day. It is apparently a well-known production and I enjoyed it, but the house was only about 1/3 full, when it was packed for the Wagner. There is no venue for these things in NYC, or scarcely in the US. Some of them belong in something resembling the Markgräfliches Opernhaus Bayreuth, but where would you put such a thing in the US unless you had a Rockefeller subsidizing it? _

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

lennygoran
Posts: 13113
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Samson Agrippina News I Missed

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 am

I`ll be at the Agrippina if it takes place and isn't updated. Len :lol:

jbuck919
Military Band Specialist
Posts: 26233
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Stony Creek, New York

Re: Samson Agrippina News I Missed

Post by jbuck919 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 am

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 am
I`ll be at the Agrippina if it takes place and isn't updated. Len :lol:
Maybe you want to review I Claudius before you go. There were two women named Agrippina, one noble, the other evil. I assume the opera is about the latter.

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- Johann Sebastian Bach

maestrob
Posts: 4958
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Samson Agrippina News I Missed

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 am
Agrippina? That's why we had something called the City Opera, even though what was then called the New York State Theater was already too big for something like that. (Apologies to the ghost of Julius Rudel.) Years ago, when I was still living there, Baltimore closed its small and cramped opera house, which would actually have been perfect for something like a Handel opera. Still, they could not have made any money on it. Several years ago when I saw Die Walküre at the Met I had an additional ticket to Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice the next day. It is apparently a well-known production and I enjoyed it, but the house was only about 1/3 full, when it was packed for the Wagner. There is no venue for these things in NYC, or scarcely in the US. Some of them belong in something resembling the Markgräfliches Opernhaus Bayreuth, but where would you put such a thing in the US unless you had a Rockefeller subsidizing it? _
The Gluck Orfeo ed Euridice was done for Placido Domingo, who in 2010 was still a star tenor. I have it on DVD (recorded from the telecast), and it's quite excellent, IMHO.

NYCO has been doing smaller productions successfully in various venues around the city. I'm sure they could find an appropriate venue for a Handel opera, but right now they don't have a single star singer for such a production to sell the house.

lennygoran
Posts: 13113
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm
Location: new york city

Re: Samson Agrippina News I Missed

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:20 pm

jbuck919 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 am
lennygoran wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 am
I`ll be at the Agrippina if it takes place and isn't updated. Len :lol:
Maybe you want to review I Claudius before you go. There were two women named Agrippina, one noble, the other evil. I assume the opera is about the latter.
John what a series that was! Len

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests