Z Woolfe On Met's Stale Performances

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Z Woolfe On Met's Stale Performances

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:22 am

Still he admits to enjoying them! Len :lol:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/arts ... collection

John F

Re: Z Woolfe On Met's Stale Performances

Post by John F » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:53 am

It's not the performances that Woolfe is complaining about. To the contrary, he praises them. It's the repertory. The Met premiered its new "Tosca" on New Year's Eve, wound up its holiday season run of "Merry Widow," revived "Cav" and "Pag," and before the month is out there'll be revivals of "Marriage of Figaro," "Elisir d'Amore," and "Trovatore." Merely opera's greatest hit shows. Woolfe may be so jaded that he finds this "dreary" according to the headline writer and "unexciting" according to Woolfe. But I'll bet the Met's audience doesn't agree.

If I were in the mood to complain about the Met's season so far, it would be that few performances have casts and conductors that I'd pay money to see. Up to the 1960s, with a break during World War II, the Met consistently put singers on its stage that today would be considered festival standard. And while many performances were conducted by second- and third-raters like Fausto Cleva and Ignace Strasfogel, many others had star conductors in the pit, and after 1970 there was James Levine. Now the stars are gone and Levine is indefinitely out. Musically, then, the season has indeed been not just unexciting but dreary. (Of course it's only half over.)

Meanwhile, Tommasini (in another CMG thread) is whining that the new "Tosca" is <shudder> faithful to the setting, the story, and the text of, well, "Tosca." He hopes that when Peter Gelb said, apropos, that he had learned his lesson about new productions of standard repertoire, Gelb didn't really mean it. Most of us here hope he did, and so I'm sure is most of the Met's audience. What we need is more McVicar and less Vick.
John Francis

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am

I was at the new production of Tosca last night and it was my impression that the audience loved it.

I can understand why critics want to see something new or different instead of the "same old, same old" but much of the audience seems to prefer opera as a "museum."

John is right in arguing that it's the artists who bring excitement to this art form and these days they seem to be in short supply.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am

John agree-I`ve argued as you must know for operas they have never done or at least not for a long time to be presented traditionally and not eurotrashed-instead they take operas they constantly do or even new ones and waste money with terrible productions from crazy directors--they wasted time and money ruining manon lescaut, the Bondy Tosca, Prince Igor, Pearlfishers-as Woofle says the Tosca last night was beautiful even if stale for him--that's his problem and also Tommassini's. Len :(

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 am

Beckmesser wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am
I was at the new production of Tosca last night and it was my impression that the audience loved it.

I can understand why critics want to see something new or different instead of the "same old, same old" but much of the audience seems to prefer opera as a "museum."

John is right in arguing that it's the artists who bring excitement to this art form and these days they seem to be in short supply.
I too want a larger number of operas not done for a long time or ever-just don't eurotrash them up. Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm

lennygoran wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 am
Beckmesser wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:24 am

I too want a larger number of operas not done for a long time or ever-just don't eurotrash them up. Len
Agree wholeheartedly! And where are the telecasts on PBS? Did Gelb finally wake up to the fact that he's been cannibalizing his audience? :mrgreen:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Brian I think they'll be doing PBS operas this season-I think it will start a little later in the season but am not sure? Len