Louis Ferdinand's music (1772-1806)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Louis Ferdinand's music (1772-1806)

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:47 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
MEMBRAN 234465, 5 CDs.

Louis Ferdinand, Prinz von Preussen. As the box back on this five-CD set from Membran/Bella Music says: "Louis Ferdinand was not only a prince and a soldier, but also a gifted composer and musician. While it is not documented who his teachers were for playing or composing, it is well known that the orchestra of Prince Henry, the brother of Frederick the Great, performed his early pieces. Ludwig van Beethoven dedicated his Third Piano Concerto to him as a token of his high esteem for the prince as a [pianist]. This collection contains Louis Ferdinand's complete works [with opus numbers] as a composer. Unfortunately, no booklet of notes accompanies this set. One can always Google to get more information, of which there is plenty. Ferdinand was killed on the battlefield at the age of 33. The works with opus numbers only go to 13, however, other works without opus numbers are also known.

The recordings in this set were all made between 1981 and 1992 and are apparently all licensed from Bella Musica. The most well known performer is pianist Horst Göbel. Near as I can determine, every piece included in this set is a composition with piano. In listening to the Prince's music, I was astonished as to why his work is not better known or performed in public.

The prince's music is not new to disc. Many recordings of his music have been previously released, especially for labels such as Dabringhaus und Grimm (exceptional, too), however, given the quality of music in this Membran set of five discs, you can have all the opused music at a good price given by exceptional musicians. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Louis Ferdinand's music (1772-1806)

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:42 pm

I have been listening to this five CD set and marvel at the originality of the work of Prince Louis! Death at only 33 on the battlefield, but his 13 opuses are stunning and very entertaining works. If you don't know this composer's work - please give it a try.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Louis Ferdinand's music (1772-1806)

Post by maestrob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks, Lance, I believe I will give this one a try! :D