Music in times of distress

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Music in times of distress

Post by Belle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 am

It has to be Bach; B Minor Mass and St. Matthew Passion. My sister has contacted me to say her daughter-in-law (my nephew's wife) has collapsed from a stroke and is seriously ill in hospital. She's 35 years old. Not enough that she had viral meningitis with her second child, born with serious vision problems and a husband (my nephew - an award winning photographer) who has had major back surgery recently.

It's Bach to the rescue for me and my family.

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Re: Music in times of distress

Post by RebLem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:38 am

A few others: Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time, Gorecki's Third Symphony, Strauss's Metamorphosen, Shostokovich's Symphonies 7, 8, 13, & 15, Haydn's Paukenmesse, Handel's Messiah, Bernstein's Mass, most anything by Allan Pettersson or Vainberg, Poulenc's Dialogues of the Carmelites, most anyone's Requiem, esp. Verdi, and a little known one by Gilles.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:13 am

Belle wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 am
It's Bach to the rescue for me and my family.
Belle for me it's Beethoven or Mozart that can get the job done. Hope all these problems will get better for you soon! Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Belle: What a terrifying story! So young (35!)!

For me it's Chopin, especially the Nocturnes. I also have a disc of my own personal favorite Adagios, (It's called Moments of Reflection).

In all things, I wish you and your family the best of outcomes.

Belle

Post by Belle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I've found I just need to run towards music!! And some of those composers mentioned have known tragedy, as we all know.

(There could be few more wonderful women in this world than my nephew's wife - a kind, caring devout Christian and also a clever and hardworking lawyer with 2 small boys!)

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Gee, Belle, tough times. Sorry to hear about them.
My go-to music when sorrow or despair is overwhelming has always been the slow movement of Schubert's D956 string quintet. After that, the slow movement from Beethoven's Emperor, Chopin's Nocturnes (esp 27/2) and a long line of Mozart and Schubert plus the Bach cello suites when I want to ponder eternity.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Sorry, I see Brian has already mentioned the Nocturnes. Good taste, Brian! :)

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 am

For me, its always the Klemperer or Marriner recording of Strauss's Metamorphosen, or any good recording of the Mahler 9th--especially the 1938 Bruno Walter Vienna Phil CD. Also, sometimes, the Abschied from Das Lied von der Erde, especially the Ferrier, Walter recording.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 am

RebLem wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:10 am
For me, its always the Klemperer or Marriner recording of Strauss's Metamorphosen, or any good recording of the Mahler 9th--especially the 1938 Bruno Walter Vienna Phil CD. Also, sometimes, the Abschied from Das Lied von der Erde, especially the Ferrier, Walter recording.
Regarding your choices, I'll have to get the Marriner Metamorphosen." My own preference in its place would be Schoenberg's "Transfigured Night," played by the inimitable Berlin Philh/HVK. As for Mahler's "Der Abschied," I grew up with the Mildred Miller version w/Bruno Walter, so I'll stick with that one. Same with his stereo Mahler IX. Good choices, all around.

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 pm

This particular work has hit the spot, especially the Adagio, since it's creator was in that space between life and death himself in his early 30s. And this performance is better than the one I have on CD by the Emersons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-vroCJvzo

There's nothing like a serious threat to life to galvanize a family either! The patient still recovers in hospital, and we're all waiting to see... My sister sent through a picture of her with her 2 little boys lying next to their mother in that bed, both looking away into space. I must admit that image brought me to my knees. (It would have been taken by my award-winning photographer nephew - the patient's husband.)

karlhenning
Composer-in-Residence

Post by karlhenning » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 am

Karl Henning, PhD
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston, Massachusetts
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
Published by Lux Nova Press
http://www.luxnova.com/

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am

I'm wondering how things are progressing with the family. Hope all is improving. And I truly believe that music is a great healer! Please keep us advised.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 am

Thank you so much for asking. My sister was here for lunch today and her beloved daughter-in-law is in trouble; a scan has revealed another further weakened and stressed artery at the base of the skull and they're now thinking it's some very serious auto-immune disorder. Moving from bad to worse. In the last few years of 2 pregnancies she's had gestational diabetes, viral meningitis, eclampsia and now a stroke. She's 35.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am

Dear Belle,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of distress. So young to have so many troubles...... :(

Belle

Post by Belle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:38 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am
Dear Belle,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of distress. So young to have so many troubles...... :(
Thanks so much for your empathetic comments. My sister became very upset talking about it yesterday.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Belle wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:38 pm
maestrob wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am
Dear Belle,

Thanks so much for your empathetic comments. My sister became very upset talking about it yesterday.
It was probably very good for your sister to let go a bit. Normally she has to try to stay strong, I imagine, and keep it together for her family's sake. So it would be nice to be cherished.