The CONTEXT Debut Recordings

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

The CONTEXT Debut Recordings

Post by Lance » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg

The Zephyr label has produced three CD recordings of music by Robert Schumann and Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia, all performed on original instruments.

*Volume 1: 123: Piano Quartet in C Minor (1829); Ferdinand: Piano Quartet in F Minor, Op. 6
*Volume 2: 124: Piano Quintet in E-flat Major, Op. 44; Ferdinand: Piano QWuintet in C, Op. 1
* Volume 3: 125: Schumann: Piano Quartet in E-flat Major, Op. 47; Ferdinand: Piano Trioin A-flat Miajor, Op. 2

Artists included in the series:

Sergiu Luca, violin (1820 violin)
Nicholas Selo, cello (1819 cello)
Brian Connelly, piano (1810, Viennese piano)
Kenneth Goldsmith, violin (1785 violin)
Paul Cortese, viola (18th century)

Said Robert Schumann of Ferdinand: "Perhaps one remembers that most romantic of all princes, Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, and his quartet which assures for him an immortal place in the history of music." —1849; and Schumann again: "He was the Romantic of the Classical Era." —1837

Said Beethoven: "He plays not at all like a king or a prince, but like a real pianist." —1796

I wrote another post on Louis Ferdinand about a complete set of his published works, however, it is interesting to hear these works on period instruments as the composers might have heard heard them. The prince admired by Beethoven, and a model to the young Romantics for his progressive music and social ideals, died a hero's death on the battlefield in 1806. Schumann modeled his own early works on the prince's example.

These recordings were made in Texas/USA in 2001-2002. I believe they are now out of print, and it is a shame the series was not continued beyond the three CDs already issued. However, they are worth seeking on the pre-owned market. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Re: The CONTEXT Debut Recordings

Post by RebLem » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am

Louis Ferdinand's complete works are available in a 5 CD set. I have no idea how good or bad it is. ​https://www.amazon.com/Louis-Ferdinand- ... +Ferdinand
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: The CONTEXT Debut Recordings

Post by Lance » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:45 pm

It is excellent, got it awhile ago, and it uses a REAL piano rather than an historical one. I highly recommend it. It is a Membran issue [taken from original tapes I believe], no notes or information, but all the music is there. Fine release.
RebLem wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 am
Louis Ferdinand's complete works are available in a 5 CD set. I have no idea how good or bad it is. ​https://www.amazon.com/Louis-Ferdinand- ... +Ferdinand
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]