bard summer opera the demon

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

bard summer opera the demon

Post by lennygoran » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Just back from another wonderful day around st petersburg-beautiful weather and plenty of water views! Meantime an email arrived with bard's major opera event for the summer-we're definitely interested in this! Len

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/arts ... =version_A

THEHORN

Re: bard summer opera the demon

Post by THEHORN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:33 pm

I have a live performance of this opera on CD from the Wexford festival in Ireland conducted by Alexander Anissimov , and have seen production of it from the Riga, Latvia opera .
It's certainly an interesting opera , worth doing .
The story deals with a demon who is weary of being evil and wants to experience human love. He becomes enamored of a Georgian princess who is about to be married and arranges for bandits to kill her betrothed on the way to the wedding .
Overcome by grief , so retreats to a nunnery and the demon has now lost her . He returns to his former state ,also stricken by grief . Not exactly a fleeced story, but a pretty good opera .

John F

Post by John F » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:53 pm

The demon's big aria, "I am he whom you called," is pretty well known to collectors of vocal records, as it was often recorded by major Russian basses and baritones including Chaliapin. And I find more recent versions on YouTube by Ghiaurov and Hvorostovsky. I've heard nothing else from the opera.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:39 pm

THEHORN wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:33 pm
Not exactly a fleeced story, but a pretty good opera .
Thanks I definitely want to go to this-Bard has done alot of operas we've enjoyed-unfortunately they didn't make last season's Dimitrij as lavish as I wanted it-more grand opera needed and less looking like a school gymnasium. It's a wonderful opera and the Met should do it right some time. Regards, Len

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm

John F wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:53 pm
The demon's big aria, "I am he whom you called," is pretty well known to collectors of vocal records, as it was often recorded by major Russian basses and baritones including Chaliapin. And I find more recent versions on YouTube by Ghiaurov and Hvorostovsky. I've heard nothing else from the opera.
Thanks, I just listened to the aria on youtube-enjoyed even on first listening! Regards, Len

John F

Post by John F » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:15 am

And what a singer Pavel Lisitsian was! They don't make 'em like that any more.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:12 am

John F wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:15 am
And what a singer Pavel Lisitsian was! They don't make 'em like that any more.
Gotta admit I never heard of him-he sounded great! Regards, Len :)

John F

Post by John F » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:32 am

Lisitsian's recording of Prince Yeletsky's aria from "Queen of Spades" is so beautifully sung that you have to wonder why Lisa dumps him for a nut like Hermann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXU1VEEKkA
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:11 am

John F wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:32 am
Lisitsian's recording of Prince Yeletsky's aria from "Queen of Spades" is so beautifully sung that you have to wonder why Lisa dumps him for a nut like Hermann.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Regards, Len