Volume 1 Issue Nº1: Welcome to The People's Post

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Volume 1 Issue Nº1: Welcome to The People's Post

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 am

It seems NYCO is taking a page out of Glimmerglass's approach! Regards, Len :lol:

http://tracking.wordfly.com/view/?sid=O ... =version_A

John F

Re: Volume 1 Issue Nº1: Welcome to The People's Post

Post by John F » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am

"Recipes"? Yes, there's a pasta recipe, and more are promised from the company's general director Michael Capasso. I expect Lenny to test them in his kitchen. This "newsletter" is a strange beast, for sure. One thing it reveals is just how thin the artistic activities of "New York City Opera" are - in three months at the height of New York's opera season, all they're doing is a children's version of Rossini's "La Cenerentola" abridged with piano.
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:44 am

John F wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 am
"Recipes"? Yes, there's a pasta recipe, and more are promised from the company's general director Michael Capasso. I expect Lenny to test them in his kitchen. This "newsletter" is a strange beast, for sure. One thing it reveals is just how thin the artistic activities of "New York City Opera" are - in three months at the height of New York's opera season, all they're doing is a children's version of Rossini's "La Cenerentola" abridged with piano.
It really resembles what Francesca does with her newsletters-recipes, travel, good photos. Still so far NYCO has been a wonderful thing to have going on and we've enjoyed just about all the operas they've done so far--okay Hopper's Wife was a stretch. We have 2 more coming up a little later! Regards, Len :D

L'AMORE DEI TRE RE
BY ITALO MONTEMEZZI
Jazz at Lincoln Center's Rose Theater
April 12, 13, 14 and 15, 2018
Set in the Middle Ages, the melodrama of Italo Montemezzi's 1913 masterpiece is fueled by a lush symphonic score influenced by Wagner and Debussy. City Opera's new production of L'Amore dei Tre Re (The Love of Three Kings), conducted by Pacien Mazzagatti and directed by Paul Curran, will be the first performance in New York City in over a decade.
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
NEW PRODUCTION - U.S. PREMIERE
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
BY CHARLES WUORINEN
Jazz at Lincoln Center's Rose Theater
May 31 and June 2, 3 and 4, 2018
After successful premieres in Europe, this intrinsically American work exploring conflict between love and identity finally debuts in the U.S. Inspired by the 2005 blockbuster film, American composer Charles Wuorinen approached author Annie Proulx to adapt her short story into an opera. This production, led by conductor Kazem Abdullah, is the second production in City Opera's LGBT Pride Initiative.

John F

Post by John F » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 am

I believe that performance of the Montemezzi was in concert. Though the opera was in vogue between the wars, the Met hasn't performed it in nearly 70 years. Ezio Pinza used to sing the role of the blind king Arcibaldo, and in the early years the role of Avito was sung by Caruso; Toscanini conducted it. But maybe it's tactless to mention that history in this context. :mrgreen:
John Francis

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 am

John F wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 am
I believe that performance of the Montemezzi was in concert.
Wow I have tickets and thought it was a full production? If it's only a concert performance I'll be very disappointed-I've never seen the opera. Regards, Len