Radio Canada's downsize plan: digitize then destroy 150,000 CDs & program notes

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

Radio Canada's downsize plan: digitize then destroy 150,000 CDs & program notes

Post by jserraglio » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm

. . . they can’t give away ... the discs without first verifying the copyright situation . . . doing that for the whole collection would be a far too expensive and time-consuming task. Another option of putting the collection in storage would also be too expensive.
http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/02/23/publ ... destroyed/

The fate of 200,000 LPs, 70,000 shellacs and a vast collection of music books and scores is uncertain at this time.

maestrob

Re: Radio Canada's downsize plan: digitize then destroy 150,000 CDs & program notes

Post by maestrob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 am

Wow! That's a tragedy! And what a project! I hope they can digitize all the booklets and 200,000 LP covers as well, although the article seems to state that they won't be able to. Horrendous loss. Maybe they should ask Google for help in the project......

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Radio Canada's downsize plan: digitize then destroy 150,000 CDs & program notes

Post by Lance » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:05 am

I think this is an absolute tragedy. I have long enjoyed Radio Canada and pick it up whenever possible. I love they way they broadcast. But a collection of this sort should be a top priority for preservation. Knowing nothing about copyright law in Canada, is it any different for any of us to buy or sell LPs or CDs that we have purchased, and in some cases (many actually) making a huge profit? How does this affect copyright laws? As all of us who have substantial collections of music, scores, CDs, LPs, tapes, 78s -- the whole thing, will face when we kick the bucket, what IS going to happen to all this material? I have long thought Canada one of the nations of the world to have a deep love for classical music. Having visited there many times, been to concerts there, etc., I noted quite a difference in this regard from the USA - especially among younger people. But is that changing in Canada, too?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]