Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 7 Schnabel

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 7 Schnabel

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:37 am

I adore this sonata; adore, I say. But Schnabel's tempi are all over the shop in the 4th movement. What gives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiXsgWT6DCI

John F

Re: Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 7 Schnabel

Post by John F » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 am

In fast music Schnabel had a tendency to rush the beat - it's one of the ways one can identify a Schnabel recording by ear. I believe this was involuntary, a technical shortcoming. In the last movement he maintains the same basic tempo (except in the last 30 bars when he slows a bit to poetic effect), but can't keep the tempo steady in extended passages in 16th notes. Wonderful performance of the slow movement, though.
John Francis

barney

Post by barney » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:30 pm

I'll have to listen. Interesting...

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:51 am

Well, Schnabel is Schnabel and I return to him very often. If we remember that these recordings of Beethoven 32 were made in the days of 78-rpm recording, it is amazing the clarity, spirit, and especially the tonal quality Schnabel gets out of his Bechstein concert grand pianos, it's miraculous that HMV was able to get the job done. No doubt Schnabel had to deal with the time limitations of 78-rpm recording, which may also be a reason we hear some of the things we do. Still, this set of 32 should be on the shelves of everyone who loves great music-making. Imagine if Schnabel was alive today and could take advantage of digital stereo recording!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:51 am
Well, Schnabel is Schnabel and I return to him very often. If we remember that these recordings of Beethoven 32 were made in the days of 78-rpm recording, it is amazing the clarity, spirit, and especially the tonal quality Schnabel gets out of his Bechstein concert grand pianos, it's miraculous that HMV was able to get the job done. No doubt Schnabel had to deal with the time limitations of 78-rpm recording, which may also be a reason we hear some of the things we do. Still, this set of 32 should be on the shelves of everyone who loves great music-making. Imagine if Schnabel was alive today and could take advantage of digital stereo recording!
You make an excellent point!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:37 am

Lance wrote:
Well, Schnabel is Schnabel and I return to him very often....

As do I, and in the earlier LvB Sonatas he is particularly strong, the " spirit " you mention.
His Schubert is great,too.It is my understanding he reportedly (?) said : " I play Beethoven to make a living , Schubert to live."

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:42 am

As much as I admire Schnabel's Beethoven, his Schubert has captured my heart perhaps even more. I fully understand and appreciate the Schnabel remark you quote below!
Rach3 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:37 am
Lance wrote:
Well, Schnabel is Schnabel and I return to him very often....

As do I, and in the earlier LvB Sonatas he is particularly strong, the " spirit " you mention.
His Schubert is great,too.It is my understanding he reportedly (?) said : " I play Beethoven to make a living , Schubert to live."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:12 pm

I am another who prefers Schnabel’s Schubert over his LvB.