Lance's radio programs, April 2018: Leonard Bernstein at 100!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Lance's radio programs, April 2018: Leonard Bernstein at 100!

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:40 am

PROGRAMS HEARD EVERY SATURDAY
Four programs featuring Bernstein as conductor-pianist-composer
on the anniversary of his 100th birthday in year 2018

April 7, 2018: Leonard Bernstein, conductor, Part I of IV
___Reznicek: Donna Diana Overture w/New York Philharmonic (r.1967)
___Vivaldi: Concerto for Diverse Instruments in C Major (Arranged/adapted by Alfredo
Casella) w/New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein, harpsichordist (r.1958)
___Schumann: Symphony No. 4 in D Minor, Op. 120 w/New York Philharmonic (r.1960)
___[Encore[ Steffe: Battle Hymn of the Republic w/New York Philharmonic (r.1970)

April 14, 2018: Leonard Bernstein, conductor, Part II of IV
___Beethoven: String Quartet in C-sharp Minor, Op. 131 - orchestral version
[suggested and credited on the air for CMG member Mr. Brian Douglas] w/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (r. 1977, live)
___Sibelius: Three Songs: 1) Black Roses; 2) But My Bird is Long in Homing; 3) Sigh, Sigh, Sedges (all sung in Swedish) w/Phyllis Curtin, soprano, New York Philharmonic
(r. 1965, live)

April 21, 2018: Leonard Bernstein, conductor, Part III of IV
___Shchedrin: Mischievous Folk Ditties w/New York Philharmonic Orchestra (r.1967, live)
___Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 30 w/Lazar Berman, piano, New York Philharmonic Orchestra (r.1977, live)

April 28, 2018: Leonard Bernstein, conductor, Part IV of IV

___Liszt: Symphonic Poem No. 3, {"Les préludes"} w/New York Philharmonic Orchestra (r.1963)
___Beethoven: Concerto for Piano, Violin, Cello and Orchestra in C Major, Op. 56 {"Triple Concerto" w/Leonard Bernstein, piano and conducting (New York Philharmonic Orchestra) from the keyboard, John Corigliano, violin, Laszlo Varga, cello (r.1959, live)
___[Encore] Mozart: German Dance in C Major {"Sleighride"} w/New York Philharmonic Orchestra (r.1965)
___[Encore] Dinicu: Hora Staccato w/New York Philharmonic (r.1970)

7:00 p.m. Eastern Time, WPEL, 96.5 FM
On Internet at: http://wpel.streamon.fm/
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Lance's radio programs, April 2018: Leonard Bernstein at 100!

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:01 am

Dear Lance,

What a great idea! I do hope you'll include at least one quartet from the album below, which is a desert island disc for me, and was Bernstein's personal favorite album:

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:20 am

Thank you, Brian! Believe-it-or-not, I don't have this DGG CD! As you well know, one cannot possibly have everything, and I have thought long and hard about acquiring Bernstein's complete DGG recordings of which I already have many individually. [I do have the mega-boxes on Sony Classical ... it was a choice of which one!) While I love string trios, quartets, etc. and have many by all the best-known composers and performers, this one was not on my list for whatever reason. Can you tell me what you find so memorable about this particular CD, and why Bernstein felt it was one of his favourites? Without me checking, is it still available individually aside from being available in the mega-set?
maestrob wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:01 am
Dear Lance,

What a great idea! I do hope you'll include at least one quartet from the album below, which is a desert island disc for me, and was Bernstein's personal favorite album:

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

John F

Post by John F » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 am

My suggestion would be not to overlook his opera recordings, few but choice. Good selections would be "Falstaff" Act 1 scene 2 and the end of Act 1 of "Der Rosenkavalier."
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Lance!

I have loved that CD since it's first release: the Vienna strings are deeply emotionally involved with the transcription of Beethoven's quartets, and Bernstein's passion for the music combined with the orchestra's affinity for the music fully justify Bernstein's dedication of the recording of Op. 131 to the memory of his wife (Felicia Montealegre Bernstein) in 1979. To top it all off, these are live recordings, although you'd never know it from the silence in the quiet moments when you can hear a pin drop (the applause is edited out at the end). I particularly love the third movement of the quartet Op. 135, which is included in my Moments of Reflection CD, a disc of my favorite Adagios which I play often. Bernstein, according to the album notes, considered this disc the culmination of his work with the Vienna Philharmonic when it was released in 1992 (The Op. 135 was recorded in 1989.)

Anyway, Bernstein's disc is available from amazon used. Search for "Bernstein Beethoven Quartets." ArchiveMusic has been burning licensed copies for some time now, as DGG has sadly allowed the title to go OOP. I assure you, Lance, that this disc will be a revelation when you hear it!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Thank you, John Francis. I do not have Bernstein's recordings of Falstaff or Rosenkavalier. Sony Classical has just released the highlights from Falstaff [1 CD], but that won't be here in time for me to use it. I have that disc to be ordered, however. Don't ask me why I don't have either of these recordings. No reasonable answer except that one cannot have everything! :(
John F wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:37 am
My suggestion would be not to overlook his opera recordings, few but choice. Good selections would be "Falstaff" Act 1 scene 2 and the end of Act 1 of "Der Rosenkavalier."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief