Joseph Patrych on recording

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Joseph Patrych on recording

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:58 am

https://www.livingtheclassicallife.com/02-joe-patrych

From the site , circa 2015 :
“Live performance and recording are not even the same art—nobody knows better than me how fake CDs are.”
"Zsolt talks to Grammy-nominated recording producer Joseph Patrych. This episode begins with a recording session of Schubert’s A-flat Impromptu D935 with Patrych and Zsolt Bognár. Patrych discusses the difference between performance and recording, the vital importance of selling CDs at concerts, the changing world of record collectors, and the underground world of pirate recordings. He also sets the record straight about a scandal at Carnegie Hall on November 1, 2006 that was reported in the New York Times."

14 minute video.

Donald Isler

Re: Joseph Patrych on recording

Post by Donald Isler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:46 am

Joe knows this business inside out. He's been a friend for 40 years and I've done all my recording projects for over 30 years at his studio. He knows repertoire, editing, pianos, and he can read a score (which, believe it or not, not all recording engineers can). He's just renamed his studio after his brother, Martin, who died the other day, and in a little while I will pay him a visit.
Donald Isler