Horowitz 1953 Carnegie recital

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Horowitz 1953 Carnegie recital

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:04 pm

If not heard this recording, or not for awhile, consider hearing.

Horowitz' 1953 Carnegie recital , RCA lp in my collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f79xGIsAf50

The Schubert D.960 plenty of gravitas without languishing tempii,Mozartian lightness and grace as well as Beethovian roar where appropriate, a remarkable reading throughout with heroic finale.

The 1953 Scriabin 9th Sonata menacing, his 1965 Carnegie on Columbia pale in comparison to the 1953.

His legendary Liszt Rhapsody # 2 .

John F

Re: Horowitz 1953 Carnegie recital

Post by John F » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Is that the same 25th anniversary recital that RCA Victor published complete in the 1950s? I remember reviews that tut-tutted about Horowitz's Schubert, so I didn't bother to listen to it. (I was just in my teens at the time.) What strikes me now is that Horowitz bothered to play the sonata at all, it's so far from the repertoire in which he became famous. And of course that's pure stereotype, and I should have known better. After all, my parents had the Victor album in which he and Toscanini played Brahms's Concerto No. 2. Well, one can't hear everything, though some here may be trying, :) and such prejudices help one make choices.
John Francis

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm

John F wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:13 pm
Is that the same 25th anniversary recital that RCA Victor published complete in the 1950s?
Yes. IF you enjoy D.960, the 1953 Horowitz is a must-hear,IMHO.You may decide you prefer others, but I would suggest including the 1953 Horowitz in any mix.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Interesting in life that everyone has their personal choices, just as it should be. While I am a great fan of Horowitz and want anything/everything I can find, commercial or private, there were some composers he played that just didn't hit the nail on the head for me. Schubert was one of them. I suppose, after hearing Clara Haskil's 1950/51 revelatory recording (on Philips initially, now on Decca), I have rarely found anyone who could match the magic she brought to the B-flat, Op. Posth. sonata. When Horowitz chose to play the G-flat Impromptu, Op. 90/3, he played it in G major (utilizing one sharp) whereas Schubert wrote it in six flats, G-flat major. When I studied the piece, it was with all six flats, and discovered it had a completely different "colour" to it in G major. I can't imagine why Horowitz chose to play it in the key of G. However, that said, music touches us all in different ways and if Horowitz affected our friend Rach3 in a positive way, that is good. I would ask Rach 3, however, if the Haskil recording ever comes his way to give it a listen. A true, spiritual performance.
Rach3 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm
John F wrote:
Is that the same 25th anniversary recital that RCA Victor published complete in the 1950s?
Yes. IF you enjoy D.960, the 1953 Horowitz is a must-hear,IMHO.You may decide you prefer others, but I would suggest including the 1953 Horowitz in any mix.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:51 pm
Interesting in life that everyone has their personal choices, just as it should be. While I am a great fan of Horowitz and want anything/everything I can find, commercial or private, there were some composers he played that just didn't hit the nail on the head for me. Schubert was one of them. I suppose, after hearing Clara Haskil's 1950/51 revelatory recording (on Philips initially, now on Decca), I have rarely found anyone who could match the magic she brought to the B-flat, Op. Posth. sonata. When Horowitz chose to play the G-flat Impromptu, Op. 90/3, he played it in G major (utilizing one sharp) whereas Schubert wrote it in six flats, G-flat major. When I studied the piece, it was with all six flats, and discovered it had a completely different "colour" to it in G major. I can't imagine why Horowitz chose to play it in the key of G. However, that said, music touches us all in different ways and if Horowitz affected our friend Rach3 in a positive way, that is good. I would ask Rach 3, however, if the Haskil recording ever comes his way to give it a listen. A true, spiritual performance.
Rach3 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm
John F wrote:
Was that 1953 recital included in the Horowitz at Carnegie Hall box? If so, I have it and have enjoyed it very much. Lance, I didn't know that tale of the Gb major Impromptu. What a story! I have the Clara Haskil rendition of the Schubert sonata and agree that she had a very special way with Schubert, as did Kempff, another favorite. Horowitz's Schubert OTOH doesn't quite work for me, probably because one can tell it's Horowitz playing Schubert, rather than serving Schubert.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Lance wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:51 pm
When Horowitz chose to play the G-flat Impromptu, Op. 90/3, he played it in G major (utilizing one sharp) whereas Schubert wrote it in six flats, G-flat major.
The "sharp " one , at 14:14 in here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=najy2nJdKTA