Pavarotti's butler

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Pavarotti's butler

Post by Rach3 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:14 pm

barney

Re: Pavarotti's butler

Post by barney » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Interesting article.
As I may have written before, I saw Pavarotti live only twice. The first time I queued up from 5am at Covent Garden in 1981 to get a ticket to hear him in a Masked Ball (with Montserrat Caballe and Renato Bruson). The second time was at the end of his life, in Melbourne in 2005, when he was doing a "farewell tour". It was an utter travesty. The voice had almost entirely gone; he had to rest for a bar before essaying a high note, which was usually a strangled squawk. After the performance, he came to a table near mine (we were in an outer part) and I noticed that he had two complete meals. You don't get a frame like his by accident.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Pavarotti's butler

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:54 pm

Very interesting, Barney. Pavarotti was a very sick man at the end, everything to live for (and he did pretty good at it by any standards). Good that we have so many recordings that still provide endless enjoyment regardless of repertoire. I often wonder how Caruso would sound given magnetic tape days, or digital days.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]