20 " essential " Schubert recordings per WQXR

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

20 " essential " Schubert recordings per WQXR

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 am

From NYC's WQXR:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/20-essential ... recordings

Of these, I have only the Zimerman Impromptus, but preferred Horszowski in the one set he recorded.

maestrob

Re: 20 " essential " Schubert recordings per WQXR

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 am
From NYC's WQXR:

Of these, I have only the Zimerman Impromptus, but preferred Horszowski in the one set he recorded.
Interesting list! I prefer the early Brendel Impromptus, as he had studied them with Schnabel extensively. I have the Zimmerman disc based on recommendations here, though, and will give it a try soon.

It goes to show that, no matter how much we collect, none of us (besides Lance! :wink: ) has everything, and wouldn't know where to put it if we did.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 am

Well, of course there are some good listings there, but I would have selected others as we probably all would. Reference is made to Schubert's complete Impromptu sets. Rach3 mentions Brendel's, and my favourite interpretations by him appear on the Vox label (not so much the Philips). I believe even Brendel mentioned somewhere that he, himself, had a preference for the Vox recording. Brendel, of course, worked with legendary Edwin Fischer, himself, another great Schubertian. I don't believe he worked with Artur Schnabel (another great Schubertian) who produced a stunningly beautiful set of the Impromptus for EMI. Insofar as the Schubert Mass No. 6 in E-flat, my preference has always been for the one EMI recorded with Erich Leinsdorf that appears now on Testament. The soloists, and especially the St. Hedwig's Choir and Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra under Leinsdorf make it one of my favourite recordings. IMHO, Leinsdorf reached areas of inspiration in this music that I don't always find in other of his recordings.
maestrob wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am
Rach3 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 am
From NYC's WQXR:

Interesting list! I prefer the early Brendel Impromptus, as he had studied them with Schnabel extensively. I have the Zimmerman disc based on recommendations here, though, and will give it a try soon.

It goes to show that, no matter how much we collect, none of us (besides Lance! 😉 ) has everything, and wouldn't know where to put it if we did.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Thanks Lance for spotting my goof! :oops: Of course I meant Edwin Fischer. Another SENIOR MOMENT!

.....AND, I agree with you about that Schubert/Leinsdorf Eb Mass, which I sang in Carnegie Hall with David Randolph in the 1970's. The Leinsdorf is one of my most cherished recordings, recently issued on Testament.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Can't say that I agree with virtually any of that. The exceptions are the Britten/Rostropovich Arpeggione and the Schubert String Quintet.

John F

Post by John F » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:03 pm

Performances apart, the repertoire is strange. All nine symphonies? All those overtures? All the music for solo violin and piano? Hardly "essential." Only the last three piano sonatas? Hardly any of the individual songs? And like Holden Fourth, I disagree with nearly all the chosen recordings.
John Francis