Haydn Sonatas by Rudolf Buchbinder

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Haydn Sonatas by Rudolf Buchbinder

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:37 am

This has just been issued and is available on amazon for $19.28. Comments?

John F

Re: Haydn Sonatas by Rudolf Buchbinder

Post by John F » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am

I've heard Buchbinder a few times in concerts and for me he's a dull performer, no special reason to hear him again.
John Francis

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 am

John F wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am
I've heard Buchbinder a few times in concerts and for me he's a dull performer, no special reason to hear him again.
Mine was exactly the same response when I saw/heard him in Vienna on at least 2 occasions. I note that he's not programmed there for the next 12 months (2018/19) as I'm planning my concert program already for the first half of next year. (I'll get back later to your Beethoven Sonata comments, John, as I'm busy just now.)

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks for the info.Apparently a re-issue of recordings done 1973-75 .

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:36 pm

I've heard/seen a couple good live broadcasts of him playing the Brahms D minor and Beethoven C minor PC's. Have not heard a solo recital. Here is a cheap cd of Strauss transcriptions I thought was very well played , if you enjoy that type of work:

https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-J-Waltz- ... er+strauss

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 pm

I've had the original set of Buchbinder's since 2008, and more power to the pianist for undertaking this repertoire in one sweep. My favourite Haydn pianists include Emanuel Ax, Alfred Brendel, and Gilbert Kalish (Nonesuch recordings, which should be reissued on CD), Martin Galling, Marc-André Hamelin, and, of course, any of those done by Sviatoslav Richter. There are quite a few pianists who have recorded all Haydn's sonatas either on the piano or fortepiano. For a major label John McCabe also made a complete recording on the piano for Decca. Most of the pianists named above have only played a selection of the sonatas, such as Ax, and another to consider is Naxos with Jenő Jandó, an excellent pianist.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 pm
I've had the original set of Buchbinder's since 2008, and more power to the pianist for undertaking this repertoire in one sweep. My favourite Haydn pianists include Emanuel Ax, Alfred Brendel, and Gilbert Kalish (Nonesuch recordings, which should be reissued on CD), Martin Galling, Marc-André Hamelin, and, of course, any of those done by Sviatoslav Richter. There are quite a few pianists who have recorded all Haydn's sonatas either on the piano or fortepiano. For a major label John McCabe also made a complete recording on the piano for Decca. Most of the pianists named above have only played a selection of the sonatas, such as Ax, and another to consider is Naxos with Jenő Jandó, an excellent pianist.
I've got some of Jeno Jando's Naxos recordings, and yes, I agree he's quite good. Brendel, Richter & Hamelin com easily to mind as truly excellent as well. What I'm looking for is a complete set, and judging by the immediate responses here, it looks like there are better choices than Buchbinder. Maybe that's why Warner reissued them at a lower price!

I'm impressed by the set below by a pianist I've never heard of. She's taken nine years to study and record Haydn's complete sonatas, and has received a multitude (20 out of 21) of positive reviews on amazon for her efforts. Has anyone heard of her?

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:34 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm
I'm impressed by the set below by a pianist I've never heard of. She's taken nine years to study and record Haydn's complete sonatas, and has received a multitude (20 out of 21) of positive reviews on amazon for her efforts. Has anyone heard of her?
That Haydn set discussed here at a Google Group:

https://tinyurl.com/ybcasu26

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm

No, sorry to say I don't know the pianist by name or otherwise, i.e., recordings.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm
No, sorry to say I don't know the pianist by name or otherwise, i.e., recordings.
FWW, other discussions of Derzhavina at another on-line group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... derzhavina

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:51 am

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:51 pm
Lance wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm
FWW, other discussions of Derzhavina at another on-line group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... derzhavina
Thanks! Very enlightening. I'm putting this set on my want list, for a birthday present coming up in May. I'll bet the "clicking" is gone by now (The set's been out for 3 years.).