Beczala Experiment Performing Arts Library

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Beczala Experiment Performing Arts Library

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am

What a fascinating experiment-won't listen to it until we get home from nyc because the sound from a tablet is pretty lousy-great that the NYPerforming Arts Library was involved in this! Len

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/arts ... collection

John F

Re: Beczala Experiment Performing Arts Library

Post by John F » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:23 am

I was in the library when this was done last week, but couldn't stay to see it. To my ears, the acoustic recording shifts the tonal balance downward, making Beczala sound more baritonal than in real life - more Caruso-like, in effect. Remarkable.
John Francis

Beckmesser

Post by Beckmesser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am
What a fascinating experiment-won't listen to it until we get home from nyc because the sound from a tablet is pretty lousy-great that the NYPerforming Arts Library was involved in this! Len

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/20/arts ... collection
Not sure if you will notice much of an improvement, Len. This recording technology sounds pretty primitive.

I happen to own an Edison cylinder machine that was given to me by my grandfather. It came with several dozen cylinders. Sadly, his taste ran to the popular songs of the day, rather than opera.

If I recall correctly, Edison's use of cylinders put him at a severe disadvantage to Berliner's use of flat discs because the latter could be mass produced by stamping whereas Edison's performers had to record each and every cylinder that was produced.

Here is one of the recordings that I have. (apologies: I can't figure out how to embed a YouTube video).

[/youtube]

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 am

John F wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:23 am
I was in the library when this was done last week, but couldn't stay to see it. To my ears, the acoustic recording shifts the tonal balance downward, making Beczala sound more baritonal than in real life - more Caruso-like, in effect. Remarkable.
John as soon as I saw this article i thought of you! I've been spending more and more time there between nyc breaks when I'm resting and sue's shopping-okay having that amy's there helps too! Len :lol:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:53 am

Beckmesser wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 am
Here is one of the recordings that I have. (apologies: I can't figure out how to embed a YouTube video).

[/youtube]
Thanks it took me time to learn how to embed you tube clips here too-it's a very specific operation which i can't explain with just my tablet-others here showed me. Len