Lance's radio programs, May 2017

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Lance's radio programs, May 2017

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am

PROGRAMS HEARD EVERY SATURDAY

May 5, 2018: Eileen Joyce, pianist - Part 1 of 2
Liszt: Etude de Concert No. 2, "La Leggierezza" (r.1933) [pianist's first recording]
de Schlozer: Etude in A-flat Major, Op. 1, No. 2 (r.1933) [pianist's first recording]
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Major, Op. 44 with London Philharmonic Orchestra, Gregorsz Fitelberg, conductor [previously unissued 78-rpm discs] (r.1946)
[Encore]: Chopin: Ballade No. 1 in G Minor, Op. 23 (r.1942)

May 12, 2018: Eileen Joyce, pianist - Part 2 of 2
____Sinding: Rustle of Spring in D-flat Major, Op. 32/3 (r.1939)
____Haydn: Piano Trio No. 39 in G Major {"Gypsy Trio"} w/Henry Holst, violin; Anthony Pini, cello (r.1941)
____Vivaldi/Bach: Concerto for Four Harpsichords and Orchestra in A Minor, BWV 1065 w/Eileen Joyce, George Malcolm, Thurston Dart, and Denis Vaughan, harpsichordists w/Pro Arte Orchestra, Boris Ord, conductor (r.1956)
____Schumann: Papillons, Op. 2 (r.1947)
____J. S. Bach/Liszt: Prelude and Fugue in A Minor, BWV 243 (r.1936)
____Liszt: "Au bord d'une source," No. 4 from Years of Pilgrimage, Switzerland (r.1936)

May 19, 2018: Christian Ferras, violinist - Part 1 of 2
____J. S. Bach: Sonata No. 3 for Violin & Piano in E Major, BWV 1016
w/Céliny Chailley-Richez, pianist (r.1953, previously unissued)
____Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D Minor, Op. 47 w/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra,
Herbert von Karajan, conductor (r.1964)

May 26, 2018: Christian Ferras, violinist - Part 1 of 2
____J. S. Bach: Double Concerto in D Minor, BWV 1043 w/Yehudi Menuhin, violin/conductor, Bath Festival Orchestra (r.1959)
____Mendelssohn: Piano Trio No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 66 w/Pablo Casals, cello; Wilhelm Kempff, piano (r.1959, live)
____[Encore] Dinicu/Heifetz: Hora staccato w/Jean-Claude Ambrosini, piano (r.1968)

7:00 p.m. Eastern Time, WPEL, 96.5 FM
On Internet at: http://wpel.streamon.fm/
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Re: Lance's radio programs, May 2017

Post by Belle » Sat May 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Lance, I'm listening to your program streamed as I write this (AEST 9am Sunday) on Eileen Joyce. She's playing Liszt right now and it's dazzling; her first recording. I had no idea how good she was!! What a pity there isn't a way to clean these old recordings of their surface noise.

A biopic was made about Eileen Joyce in Australia in the early 1950s and a friend of mine actually played the role of her father: the actor was Nigel Lovell. We used to work together at the Australian Broadcasting Commission (as it then was) in the early 1970s. He never mentioned to me that he was in this film 20 years earlier!!
http://www.ozmovies.com.au/movie/wherever-she-goes

Nigel was a well-known actor and he had a profound love of music. We used to have little competitions during the day where we'd ask each other musical questions and then try and find the answers. Our musical discussions kept me going as I was bored working in childrens' television at the time. Nigel would often rush over to my desk with an answer to one of mine, holding a book!! He was once married to one of Australia's leading film producers, Patricia Lovell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Lovell

By now you have Eileen playing the (seldom played) Tchaikovsky 2nd Concerto. It's thrilling.

While I'm listening I'm also looking on Google Maps to where your radio station is located, and I notice it's not far from Binghamton where you once said you lived (if I've got that right). I've gone down to the street level and it's absolutely charming; all those 2-storied houses!! And many of them in timber.

I live in one of these big houses!! Will tune in next week for another edition of your program.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Wo ... 51.5744049

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Lance's radio programs, May 2017

Post by Lance » Sun May 06, 2018 12:08 am

Thank you for those most encouraging words! I love doing the program, something I've done for 50 years coming this December 2018. The only problem I have on occasion is watching the timings to fill a full one hour slot. Very interesting what you say about the biopic and a friend who played her father. A press in Australia has just released a new book about Eileen Joyce. I ordered it and expect it any day. Perhaps you know about it already.

As for the background noise on those recordings made during World War II days, the shellac used was inferior because the material was needed and used by the Brits. So record companies, to still stay in business had to use a different type of material. For me, once I get used to it, I hardly hear it all when absorbed in the music. If one tries to cut the frequency response, it would change the tonal properties and quality of the performance. I am pleased, however, that these recordings are still being made available.

Again, a good read from you! Most appreciated.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]