Did I hear right?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Did I hear right?

Post by Lance » Mon May 07, 2018 1:02 am

Just talking to someone about Sirius XM radio in that they will not play any music led by pianist/conductor James Levine; and that the Metropolitan broadcasts will not feature ANY opera with Levine as conductor. Is there truth in this?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

jserraglio

Re: Did I hear right?

Post by jserraglio » Mon May 07, 2018 1:47 am

FWIW

http://slippedisc.com/2018/04/james-lev ... era-radio/

In the Comments section, SiriusXM subscribers report Levine has become a Met Opera channel nonperson since last December.

Why is not at all clear.

Some of the other comments, esp. about possible legal ramifications such as residuals, contracts, rights & permissions, and pending litigation are worth a look.

The online Met Opera Shop still sells Levine's recordings.

barney

Post by barney » Mon May 07, 2018 7:28 am

Well, I'm not going to play any music by any rapper. That'll show them, for sure.

John F

Post by John F » Mon May 07, 2018 10:31 am

Lance wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:02 am
Just talking to someone about Sirius XM radio in that they will not play any music led by pianist/conductor James Levine; and that the Metropolitan broadcasts will not feature ANY opera with Levine as conductor. Is there truth in this?
Sirius can do as it pleases. As for the Met broadcasts, since Levine isn't conducting any more, they could hardly "feature" any opera with him as conductor. But Levine can't be written out of the history of music generally and the Met in particular. Sony and DB aren't withdrawing their many outstanding Levine recordings and videos, and I hope and expect that eventually art will win out over moral indignation, as it usually has in the past.
John Francis

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon May 07, 2018 10:57 am

John F wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:31 am
Lance wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:02 am
Sirius can do as it pleases. As for the Met broadcasts, since Levine isn't conducting any more, they could hardly "feature" any opera with him as conductor. But Levine can't be written out of the history of music generally and the Met in particular. Sony and DB aren't withdrawing their many outstanding Levine recordings and videos, and I hope and expect that eventually art will win out over moral indignation, as it usually has in the past.
Agree with you, JohnF. The enormous musical contribution Levine made to the MET will not be forgotten, and his recordings will continue to sell. Granted that his personal behavior was excrement and angered and disgusted many (including your truly), the general public tends to separate the two, and even be unaware or in denial in spite of all the negative publicity.