James Ehnes plays Shostakovich VC #1 live with Ashkenazy

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

James Ehnes plays Shostakovich VC #1 live with Ashkenazy

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:06 am

Live broadcast of an April, 2018 performance at London’s RFH . I still dont connect with the 4th Symphony :

Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op.77
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 4 in C minor, Op.43

James Ehnes (violin)
Philharmonia Orchestra
Vladimir Ashkenazy (conductor)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1psj6

maestrob

Re: James Ehnes plays Shostakovich VC #1 live with Ashkenazy

Post by maestrob » Tue May 08, 2018 11:59 am

If you haven't connected to Shostakovich IV yet, do try the world premiere recording pictured above..... :)

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am

Frankly, I have never been able to connect very well with the Shostakovich Fourth, either. However, I accept this as my own deficiency, not Shostakovich's. It was his own favorite of his symphonies, and Vasily Petrenko says it is one of his two greatest symphonies, along with the Fourteenth. My personal favorite is the 15th, one of the great contemplations of death, along with Strauss's Metamorphosen and the Mahler Ninth, Das Lied, and Kindertotenlieder, and Shostakovich's last string quartet.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 am

RebLem wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am
Frankly, I have never been able to connect very well with the Shostakovich Fourth, either. However, I accept this as my own deficiency, not Shostakovich's. It was his own favorite of his symphonies, and Vasily Petrenko says it is one of his two greatest symphonies, along with the Fourteenth. My personal favorite is the 15th, one of the great contemplations of death, along with Strauss's Metamorphosen and the Mahler Ninth, Das Lied, and Kindertotenlieder, and Shostakovich's last string quartet.
Shostakovich IV is chock-full of ideas, but they come at you so fast a furiously that it can be hard to keep up. I agree with Shostakovich that it's my favorite symphony of his just because it's so ground-breaking. No Russian composer had dared to be so original in a symphony before 1936 (?): its massive structure, power and dissonance totally eclipses anything that came before IMHO. It's a massive piece, Mahlerian in length, and it requires concentrated listening to make sense of it. In fact, Stalin rejected the piece after its premiere, and it was not performed again until the 1960's (recorded in Philadelphia in 1964, and in Moscow by Kondrashin in 1967). It's because of Stalin's criticism that we have the great Fifth Symphony, of course.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:30 pm

I am a big Shostakovich fan, and enjoy his symphonies 5,8,10,11,15, and many of his other works, but not Symphony # 4. My failing, no doubt , regarding # 4, although I think it can be argued # 4 is " bettered" by the others listed here.

barney

Post by barney » Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 pm

RebLem wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 am
That's a very interesting thought (about the 15th) and surely worth a thread in its own right.

barney

Post by barney » Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 pm

One of my favourites is 13, probably because it's the first Shostakovich symphony I got to know. But I find it deeply profound.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am

barney wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 pm
One of my favourites is 13, probably because it's the first Shostakovich symphony I got to know. But I find it deeply profound.
Agree with you here, Barney. When I was in college (Villanova), I studied the texts in Russian (I'm a licensed teacher with a French major and a Russian minor). The 13th Symphony had just been composed, and we dove into Yevtusheko's poetry, including the changes made for the Russian censors at the time. It's a great work, and I heard the Western premiere with Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra in the Academy of Music on Broad Street (using the real, not the censored text). RCA issued a recording, which I had on LP. It was briefly available in Japan on CD: I have a copy of it, and Kondrashin's recording from Russia as well. The movement called "Umirayut v Rossiye Strakhi (Fears are Dying in Russia) still sends a chill up my spine every time I hear it. Kurt Masur also led a magnificent performance here in NY with Yevtusheko reciting his poetry before each movement in the 1990's.