Ricardo Odnoposoff, violinist

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Ricardo Odnoposoff, violinist

Post by Lance » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
DOREMI 7874-9, 6 CDs [Entitled Volume 1]

WIKIPEDIA link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Odnoposoff

Here's a violinist who was quite the rage at one time, made many recordings for a number of labels, including Musical Masterpiece Society, RCA Victor (78s), American Columbia (78s), Allegro, Concert Hall, and Chamber Music Society. All these labels are featured in DOREMI's 6 CD boxed set, this issue is marked as being released in 2006. So, 12 years later, we are still waiting for Volume 2, but I presume it won't be released.

All the recordings in this set have been taken from the original 78s and copies of the LPs from those labels mentioned above. The one big item is Beethoven's Triple Concerto in C Major, 0p. 56. However, it has seen release on CD from other labels, such as Naxos and Pearl. For me, the reason to acquire this in the first place was because of it's inclusion of Felix Weingartner as conductor. I was not yet aware of the genius of Odnoposoff's violin playing. At the time I was given a mint-condition 78-rpm set (even though I collected LPs), I was delighted to have this and it is the first time I ever heard the work.

Since this six-CD set was a gift from a fellow collector, I have not had an opportunity to hear it, but lots of good things are here. The photo of the cover of the set is not all-inclusive.

Outside of the problems Odnoposoff faced because of World War II, he apparently had a good life concertizing, playing with major orchestras, and teaching at various schools mostly internationally.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Ricardo Odnoposoff, violinist

Post by John F » Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 am

According to Wikipedia, Odnoposoff was one of the concertmasters of the Vienna State Opera and the Vienna Philharmonic before the War. That explains his participation in Felix Weingartner's recording of Beethoven's triple concerto with the VPO during that period. The other soloists are no more famous than Odnoposoff: pianist Angelica Morales, pupil of Egon Petri and wife of Liszt pupil Emil von Sauer, and cellist Stefan Auber, briefly a member of the Kolisch String Quartet and principal cello in Pittsburgh under Fritz Reiner. How this oddly assorted trio happened to come together for this recording, I don't know; I'd guess it may have been made directly after a concert performance. It's interesting to learn about the careers of musicians one has heard of but knows little about.
John Francis