I hear rumors again: GUILD/Switzerland

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

I hear rumors again: GUILD/Switzerland

Post by Lance » Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 am

I said it once before, but I hear GUILD may be folding up their tent. Maybe not, I hope not. Guild has provided exceptional recordings of historical material and great artists (Toscanini, Cherkassky, Sargent Stokowski, etc., et al) plus a nice variety of fine recordings featuring present-day artists and even some rare repertoire. If anyone hears anything differently, please advise. Rumors are rumors, and probably should not be said until it is known for sure. I have an extensive catalogue of their recordings - and continue to watch for their releases with great interest.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Re: I hear rumors again: GUILD/Switzerland

Post by RebLem » Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 pm

I just clicked on Presto Classical on my favorites list, and found out that, among other things,they are having a clearance sale on GUILD records, offering up to 70% off list on some issues. I thought you'd like to know.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed May 23, 2018 11:44 pm

Yes, thank you. Another collector friend mentioned it to me and added I think 10 historical issues to his list that I didn't have. Still, 70% off list seems abnormal. That's less than wholesale! I hope Guild doesn't go away ... they have provided some very good material, historical and otherwise.
RebLem wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 pm
I just clicked on Presto Classical on my favorites list, and found out that, among other things,they are having a clearance sale on GUILD records, offering up to 70% off list on some issues. I thought you'd like to know.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

RebLem
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA 87112, 2 blocks west of the Breaking Bad carwash.

Post by RebLem » Thu May 24, 2018 10:16 am

I ordered 10 CDs myself--a Handel Messiah, a Fritz Busch Beethoven 9th, two CDs of chamber music by Donald Tovey, a Schumann disc of the Symphonies 3 & 4 and the Cello Concerto cond. by Andre Cluytens with Andre Navarra, a CD of chamber music by Schumann and someone called Filas, A CD of George Szell conducting the Cologne RSO--I forget what all is on it, but I remember there's a Mozart PC with Robert Casadesus, and a Brahms PC 1, but I forget who did it--the printout of what I ordered doesn't give the kind of complete information other vendors do.
Don't drink and drive. You might spill it.--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father
"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."--Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S. Carolina.
"Racism is America's Original Sin."--Francis Cardinal George, former Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago.