United Archives/Szell, Volume 5

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

United Archives/Szell, Volume 5

Post by Lance » Thu May 24, 2018 12:18 am

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg
UAR013 - 3 CDs

While I had Szell's LP recording of Dvorak's Piano Concerto in G Minor, Op. 33 with Rudolf Firkusny, piano and Szell/Cleveland, I wanted to test out these United Archives CDs of Szell (I previously had the Koussevitzky, Volume 1 on this label and it was excellent). The transfers for the Szell material on this volume (No. 5) includes the Dvorak Piano Concerto. All the remastering has been done by Lani Spahr who, apparently had to give up his remastering work from the LPs because of legal problems spoken of elsewhere on this board (the large George Szell thread). I would never know this recording came from a Columbia LP [ML-4967] because it is so well remastered. I cannot imagine that whatever Sony would release of this work would be any better.

If you can read the back liner of the CDs' total program above, all are with the Cleveland Orchestra with the exception of two sections from Smetana's Ma Vlast (The Moldau and From Bohemia's Fields and Forests), which is with the New York Philharmonic. I also listened to the five Slavonic Dances that conclude the piano concerto disc, and again, was overwhelmed by the superb sound of the Cleveland.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]