Mozart's opera "Mitridate" (composed at 14)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Mozart's opera "Mitridate" (composed at 14)

Post by Lance » Sat May 26, 2018 12:07 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... _QL65_.jpg
Decca 460 772, 3 CDs, published 1999.

Here's an opera I've heard primarily excerpts from, and when Decca brought out all of Mozart's operas in one big box [478 1600], I didn't pay much attention to Mitridate. Traveling along listening to Sirius/XM radio the other day, I heard a marvelous excerpt sung by Cecilia Bartoli. It's in three acts and the Decca recording features Giuseppe Sabbatini, Natalie Dessay, Bartoli, and the much younger Juan Diego Florez, among others. It was successful in Italy where Mozart wrote the opera and conducted more than 20 performances (Mozart only 14!). I am uncertain if the Met or other major opera company has performed it. The opera runs about 174 minutes. So Mozart at 14 giving us a serious opera lasting almost three hours! Still amazing.

Lenny, John F, anybody ... how does this opera strike you?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

John F

Re: Mozart's opera "Mitridate" (composed at 14)

Post by John F » Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Most of Mozart's operas from his early teens (and earlier!) are musically pretty much interchangeable; it wasn't until "Il Re Pastore" that they began to be memorable. For me "Mitridate" stands out among his early operas, without suggesting the great musical dramatist he was to become.
John Francis